2: 9

Caroline was very kind as she gushed over how pretty both girls looked, while she put on her own coat to drive the girls back into the city. Delia was going to take Melody out for sushi, another thing she had never tried before. Alexander was a mostly meat with a side of more meat kind of guy. He ate what Melody made when she did cook, especially now with the kids at the table too. But falafel, fish and salads were not high on his list of favorite foods. Which was unfortunate as those were Melody's top meals. She was a true omnivore. Mates were often opposite, to bring out the best in each other he had said with a shrug as he begrudgingly muched down a salad.

Melody pulled her jacket tighter around herself as Caroline drove away in the small luxury car. Leaving Delia and Melody outside a very posh looking sushi restaurant. Delia could feel Melody's anxiety, and was immediately beside her friend, hooking her fingertips just over Melody's and encouraged her to follow her inside. Trying to impart some strength, Delia wasn't sure about much of Melody's past, but someone didn't become an emancipated minor and move across the country without a reason. Something dark was in Melody's past, and her heart screamed at Delia how lonely she was. Melody needed a friend, Delia was ready to be whatever friend Melody needed.

Delia smiled at the hostess as they walked in, and gave her name for the reservation. Then they were swiftly ushered to their table, near a large fish tank with living coral and tropical fish, along with a window overlooking the busy shopping district. It was one of the nicer tables in the restaurant Melody realized as she settled into her seat after her coat was taken to be hung up while they ate. Something she had never experienced before while dining out. Well, not that her and Alexander had done that much since James was born, or had much chance during their whirlwind romance.

Delia helped Melody order a bunch of dishes that they could share and the two chatted over a bottle of wine in between their various courses. Melody felt a deep peace settle over her as the wine released tension from her body and her heart glowed at the new but bright friendship she had Delia. It had been so long since she had a friend, felt normal. Melody could dream she was just a normal girl, with no darkness in her past. Out with her best friend for a night of fun with the girls.

No wolf judgment, no pitying looks from those who knew her whole story. No lonely ache in her heart that she felt like a island in a sea of people who didn't understand her. The little fantasy world where everything was always ok, Alexander was just her husband, and she was a young in love mom. It was just what she needed to raise her spirits to make her brave for her plan tomorrow night.

Delia knew instantly when Melody's head went somewhere much more interesting than the peaceful happy she had been feeling most of the dinner. She looked at her friend and smiled. Someday her and Melody wouldn't have secrets between them. Delia could feel it. When that day came Delia couldn't wait to find out how her sweet, happy, forcefully optimistic friend with more strength in her heart than anyone Delia had ever met before had found her wolf, how she had survived a vampire attack, and what happened to her in her past to make her fears so dark.

Delia had seen such darkness in others before, and she hoped that she was wrong and nothing like what had happened to those poor witches had happened to Melody. She shook her hair just enough to send a ripple through her long dark wavy hair, "What thoughts have your eyes sparkling like diamonds Melody?" Delia asked changing the subject of their conversation and her own thoughts rapidly.

"Oh. Um. I've planned a little getaway for Alexander and I tomorrow night," Melody blushed, the sweetest rose color blooming on the apples of her cheeks as her full lips slowly curled up in a slight smile.

"A Romantic getaway?" Delia stressed romantic when she said it and made lovey eyes at Melody.

"Yes, well. Kind of." Melody made a frustrated sound deep in her throat before lightly covering her face with her hands, mindful at the last minute not to smudge her makeup that Delia had worked so hard on. "I've never really had a girlfriend to talk about things."The blush darkened and crept over her whole face and down her chest until she was pink all over. "I don't know how to say what I planned or explain. Just, I am going to blow his mind." Melody said, feeling determined as she tried to tame her blush and cool her skin by force of will alone.