Chapter Twenty-Three

Zara

I woke lying on a double four-poster bed in a dark room. I could see the sun shining through the gaps in the blinds. That told me it was still daytime, but I didn't have a clue what hour it was, or how long I'd been asleep.

I was sore all over. I needed water and something to eat, but I doubted I'd be able to keep it down.

Where was my family?

What was going to happen next?

I sat up slowly, wincing when pain stabbed through my head and leg. I looked down at the wound and found that someone had changed me into slip-on pyjama pants.

Why?

The door opened, and in walked a young girl around the age of sixteen with long red curly hair and a freckled face. She was short but slim, too skinny, actually. She carried a tray with a glass and a bowl upon it.

"Oh, you're awake." She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes; it was all fake, a show. "Good. You'll be wanting some food and water, yes?"

I nodded. What was such a young girl doing in the house with David? She set the tray on the bed beside me. I took the glass with shaking hands and sipped it. The water helped my parched throat.

I looked to the door that she'd left open.

"You won't make it," she whispered as she stood beside the bed. A look of dread passed over her features.

What? Was she a mind reader?

"W-who are you?" I asked.

"I was homeless until David took me in." She glanced at the door, and then back to me. Bending over, so we were inches apart, she whispered, "You need to get out of here. He's going to kill you."

My eyes widened. Why was she warning me? I controlled my eye roll. God, doesn't she think I already know that?

"How can I get out?" I asked.

She shrugged. "That, I don't know."

"I wouldn't without my family anyway."

Her head cocked to the side. "Smart or stupid you are, but I can't work out which one. I know I'm stupid because I keep staying here. So maybe you're the same?" She smiled sadly.

Probably.

"Josie, what are you doing in here?" David came through the door.

Josie nearly jumped out of her skin, her cheeks turning a deep shade of red. "Nothing, Daddy. Um, I mean, I brought our guest some supper."

Oh, my flipping God. Was this for real? I mean I'd always wanted to role-play where Talon was a pirate and I was a damsel in distress...kind of like now.

But their roles were just fruited up.

Jesus, why hadn't I seen how crazy this fucktard was from the start?

He stalked across the room. Josie backed up until she hit the wall. "I told you not to call me daddy around people," he hissed through clenched teeth, and then slapped her across the face.

She whimpered and sunk to the floor. "I'm sorry, David."

"Don't be an arse," I said. He turned to face me.

Better me than an innocent girl.

His grabbed me by my hair and dragged me from the bed. I cried out when I landed on my knees in front of him.

"Don't," Josie screamed. She jumped onto his back, clawing at his face. He swore and flipped her off. She landed beside me with a thunk. He kicked her in her side and she groaned.

I punched him in the balls. It was his turn to groan, bending at the waist.

"Run," I yelled to Josie, but she didn't move, staying curled up in her protective ball.

"Jefferson," David called. In ran Jeff. "Take my wife to my office. I'll deal with her in a minute."

"You are nothing but a perverted cocksucker, David. Or should I call you daddy too? Isn't that what you like, you hairy sac sucker?" I yelled.

"Take her, now," David barked. Jeff dragged me up and threw me over his shoulder. I clenched my teeth at the pain.

We moved down a hallway, but I noticed David walk out of the room behind us and lock the door. I smiled to myself. I'd pissed him off that much? I guess he wanted to deal with me first. At least that left Josie alone... for now.

In the office, Jeff threw me onto the couch.

"Leave," David ordered.

Jeff smirked down at me, gave me a tap on the head, and left, closing the door behind him. David turned the lock into place.

He started pacing the room. "I used to think when I got you back we could have worked this out. But you've changed."

"Lucky for me, eh?" I sat up straighter and wondered why I wasn't bleeding through the pants I had on. I felt my leg where David had stabbed me. It was covered by some sort of tape.

"Shut the hell up," he screamed. I felt like telling him he screamed like a girl, but I didn't think that would go down well. Though, my chances were getting slimmer by the second.

I love you, Talon. Tears threatened.

All I could do now was pray that he got here in time to save the children and my parents.

"I should have never been with you, David." I laughed. "I thought I knew what love was, but I didn't. Because now I know what love is. The love I feel for Talon is bigger than anything I've felt before—"

He ran at me, grabbing my shoulders, and roughly shook me. "Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. You are nothing." He spun away and walked to the desk.

Oh, shit.

He yanked open a drawer and pulled out a gun. "I would never have wasted my time in finding you, but your life insurance is going to make it worth it."

Say what, now?

"Um, hold on a second." I giggled. "Have you thought this through? Won't the insurance people know something's up if I'm riddled with bullets?"

Why am I helping him? Jeesh.

It was then I realised that I wasn't scared of David. I was no longer scared. What was in front of me was an old, mean man and nothing else.

"The police wouldn't question a break-in, where my dear wife was killed defending our home. Well, not home—seems you made me fucking travel a state away to kill you," he yelled and then shook his head. "Instead they broke intoour new holiday warehouse here in Melbourne. Isn't it wonderful? I get a dead wife. I get money and a new place. Yes, I think I'll live here... with my two daughters."

"No!" I screamed.

He raised the gun and fired.

My body bounced back into the couch. I looked down as pain throbbed through my arm; blood started to soak my tee.

Damn it, I liked this one.

"Practice shot," he smirked. He raised the gun again.

© Lila Rose 2013