Chapter Two

Holding Out Copyright © 2015 by Lila Rose

Chapter Two

I followed Deanna back inside and reheated my Chinese, again. I wondered if I could get sick from reheating it too much and then thought maybe it'd be for the best. Then I'd die and this whole great...I meant, bad dream would end.

Who did he think he was informing people he was 'my man'? Yeah, right! And why would he want me? He wasn't making sense.

This has been a long time coming. My arse it had. I couldn't recall how many times I'd avoided him for that reason alone. I was not some conquer-and-move-on type of girl, if that was what he thought. And that was exactly what he'd want. I'd lost count of how many women I'd seen leave his place in the early hours of the morning. All blonde, I might add.

Though...it had been a while since the last one. Still, that didn't matter. The man was a tart when it came to women.

Urrh! I just wanted to scream.

"You're thinking too hard. Here, drink this," Deanna said, and placed a glass of wine in front of me.

I turned a glare on her as she sat across the table from me and continued to roll her food around her plate.

I tipped my head to the side to study her. She'd never played with her food before. Usually she'd have it gone in a second. And she never put on weight. Bitch.

"Stop lookin' at me like that. I will not fuck you, no matter how much you beg."

I snorted. God, I loved her. She was the only one who'd kept me somewhat normal through my two years of hell with David. I prayed every day he wouldn't know where to start looking to find me. I hadn't seen him in almost six years. So, my guess was we were just too good at disappearing a state away to the small town of Ballarat, where Deanna's other house was or something had delayed his search for me. His business always did come first.

Still, I knew he would be looking for me eventually, because he didn't like to let go of possessions, and I was one. I'd hate to think where I would be, what I'd have put Maya through, if I were still there. Deanna meant more to me than she could ever know. Which was why I was worried about her now.

"Tell me what's going on."

"Nothin'," she clipped, and took a sip of her wine. A second later, she drained the rest of her glass. One problem with Deanna was that she was as stubborn as a mule. If she wasn't ready to talk about what was obviously on her mind, she wouldn't, leaving me to be the stress-head that I was and fret about it.

"Let's talk about Talon." She grinned.

"Let's not and have a drink instead," I said, and then drained my own glass.

"I'll drink to that." She moved from the table to grab the bottle of wine, but turned back around. "We're gonna need more than this. Where's your stash, woman?"

It was my turn to grin. She knew me too well. "The bourbon is in the laundry room, top cupboard." I needed something on those nights when I was about ready to hog-tie my brat of a child to her bed. Come on, no one could tell me they'd never contemplated it.

A couple of hours later, I was feeling fabulous. We were dancing around the living room to Pink's "Fun House." Nothing was bothering me and I could see that Deanna was having just as much fun as I was.

Then Deanna dumped her skinny behind on the couch, grabbed the remote, and turned down the tunes. I was going to complain, but then I realised I was on the verge of peeing myself.

"If you could be any superhero, who would you choose?" I called from the bathroom down the hall.

"What the fuck did you just say?"