Chapter Four

Holding Out Copyright © 2015 by Lila Rose

Chapter Four

I really, really did not want to get up and face the day. Could it be possible that no one would notice my absence? Doubtful. I still had to get to work, pick Maya up, and fly the coop without any problems. Just the thought made me groan. I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Problems were bound to come my way.

Problem one, the most important one: the fact I had to bury the loss of my parents for now while I skipped town and got my daughter and brother to safety. My heart didn't want that. It still wanted to roll over and cry.

Problem two: whenever I closed my eyes, all I pictured was Talon in my bed. I turned my head to see that spot now empty. It was probably for the best. I wouldn't have been able to control myself like I had through the night. When I woke and he was holding me tightly against him, other than feeling like I was being smothered, it felt nice. Then I realised where one of his hands was. Cupping my sex. Of course, I had to wriggle a little, only I shouldn't have, because it sent a pulse of lust throughout my body and I so wanted to do it again. My first thought was maybe he wouldn't notice if I accidentally got off from his hand. I wiggled again, holding back my moan, and that was when his shiver-worthy voice rumbled at the back of my neck.

"If you do that again, you'll see how perfect my pecker is."

I froze, and damned him into a coma so I could continue with his hand. Unfortunately, it didn't work; so then I contemplated the thought of just using him for the night, to forget, and because I wouldn't be around much longer.

"Stop fucking thinkin'. The noise your brain makes is keeping me awake."

I settled back with a loud sigh, just to annoy him. Fine, if he was going to be an arse, I was going to keep my wet tunnel away from him.

Double fine, if he was going to be an arse about it and not move his hand, I was going to ignore it and sleep.

And I did.

Eventually.

Problem three: the voice I was hearing rise down the end of the hall in the kitchen. Who Deanna was yelling at, I had yet to figure out. I could only hope it wasn't my brother. I was sure Deanna's foul mouth could just about scare Satan himself.

Problem four: my bladder was screaming at me to get out of bed and deal with it.

I got up, peed, had a shower, and dressed in jeans, a red sweater, socks, and with my hair still damp, I walked out of my room.

On the way down the hall, I paused to listen in on the conversation being held in the kitchen.

"You fuckin' mean she doesn't work for that law firm anymore?" Talon asked.

Deanna snorted and said, "Turn up your hearin' aid, old man, and listen carefully. No, she don't work there no more."

"Where she at now?"

"At some PI place not far from here."

"Hell. Please don't tell me 'We put the P in PI'?" he asked with disgust in his voice.

"Yeah, I think that's it. Like I said, she ain't been there long, two weeks tops."

"Fuck!"

I heard a bark of laughter that didn't sound anything like Talon or Deanna, so I guessed Griz was still here.

What was the big problem with where I worked? I found Violet, Chuck, and Warden great people to work with. It wasn't like I was doing any of the PI work. I was their secretary and that was it.