Chapter 55: Save the Orcs

Kashi. Please, save the orcs. Five words. Five mere words sent tremors across Destia's lands! The continent gaped at their screens, disbelieving their eyes and ears! 'Save the orcs?' No one was lost as to the implications of that plea. If Kashi played his cards right, Rosendun would most likely absorb the orcs' strength! The Twilight Wolves were already a terrifying force. What would happen if the orcs joined them!? It would be like giving wings to a tiger!

Ironically, contrary to the continents' expectations, several orcs protested in anger and disgust upon seeing Renark kneeling before another. Several orcs called for his head on a pike as they glared at the screen as if doing so would transport them to the battlefield. An orc should never bow to another unless they had been defeated in battle!

Renark surrendered to Kashi without a fight. Furthermore, he dishonored the orcs by begging outsiders for help. There had never been, and would never be a problem the orcs could not solve themselves. This ironclad belief ingrained within every orc's bones fueled their disgust and rage.

However, even among the orcs, there was one whose rage exploded into an uncontrollable inferno.

Unfortunately, the orcs' anger would have nowhere to go as every screen around the world disappeared, shutting off the live broadcast.

"Ragelock!" Durst's enraged cry nearly shattered everyone's eardrums as he burst out of the crowd. The orc's eyes, blazing red with fury, widened as he swung his ax at Renark's exposed neck.

Clang! Sparks, instead of blood burst out, causing Durst to narrow his eyes. "Step aside, Ragnar." Dursts' voice trembled with barely controlled fury. Only his final shred of clarity prevented him from chopping down Ragnar where he stood.

Nngh! Ragnar grunted, his veins bulging as he held up the sword blocking Durst's ax. Still, he managed to grind out a warning. "Cutting a defenseless opponent brings you no honor, Durst. Do not sully their memory with your rage."

"Do not bring them into this!" Durst snapped at Ragnar, the flames in his glare threatening to roast the young orc alive.

Ragnar did not falter under the larger orc's death glare. "I did not." He looked pointedly at Durst's arms, and then softly rebuked, "You did."

"I did?" Durst first muttered in confusion, but then he looked at his arm. "... I did." The orc visibly deflated as he looked at his ashy-white skin. Indeed, he still wore the ashes of his mate and child. If he killed, it would be in their name. He could not dishonor them once more.

"I am in your debt, Ragnar." Durst acknowledged as he reluctantly raised his ax. He then looked at Renark who had not moved an inch, as if in acceptance of his death. "My ax shall yet drink your blood. State your case, and then raise your ax. I will not cut down a defenseless orc."

Renark looked up at Durst. "I will give you the fight you seek." He then turned to look at Ragnaf. "Ragnaf, you fought well. I and every orc here bore witness to your glory. You have proven to be more than an abandoned beast. Thus, with my authority as Orc Chieftain, and with Durst as Witness, I propose a name change. Ragnaf Banbeast will be henceforth known as Ragnaf Bonecleaver, with the authority to form a clan. Ragnaf, do you accept?"

Durst, Ragnaf, and Kashi stared at Renark in disbelief. Many onlookers did not realize what was happening, but these three knew the significance of Renark's declaration. Unlike most species, surnames were deathly important to orcs. The first orcs gained surnames from their feats. Some were named after the feats they performed, while others were named after a distinct trait or personality that defined their legend.

Every generation of orcs wore their surnames with pride because it proved they were born of great warriors or legends. Orcs without surnames were usually shunned for not being born from a warrior's lineage. As a result, orcs without surnames often fought in great battles to finally gain a surname of their own.