Chapter 20- Faith

I've got new friends- Osas

By the time I get to school the news is all over the place. Ara won. She's the new SC President. To say I'm not disappointed would be like lying through my nose but this is all a process. Losing and winning is all part of life.

I walk through the hall of our block, waving at whoever waves at me first. They don't usually say it but I'm not unaware about the fact that nearly everyone talks about me. I know there are people who hate how I'm always first position and how I seem to have it all. These set of people are also very happy about Ara winning, and they're anticipating my next move. And what is my next move? Nothing, this isn't some Rich and Mighty Politics, this is just a minor election and losing this election doesn't mean I've lost everything else. Not at all.

"Faith! How are you?" Olivia runs towards me and away from the crowd that's been formed in front of the Counselor's office.

"I'm fine, what's happening?" I ask, gesturing at the crowd.

"Oh, it's the new Council. They're speaking to Mrs. Bolu and some other teachers. They'll come out in a minute now." We stand in anticipation and true to her words, Ara and her crew come out in less than a minute. Immediately she's out, Ara's eyes lands on mine and I see her jaws clench. I steady myself for the taunting that will follow as she makes her way towards me.

"Congratulations," I greet first as a peaceful flag. Thankfully, she accepts my peace treaty and even manages a small smile.

"Thank you, you were a nice person to compete with. Honestly," she adds after a beat. I'm about to walk away when Alex comes strolling towards us. It's notable to know that my heart doesn't jump as high as it used to when my eyes land on him. And I don't feel the need to outsmart Ara in this situation. In fact, I'd be more happy to leave.

"Hey Faith," he greets merrily.

"Hi, how are you?" I ask, jumping back into polite Faith. I can't wait to go back to my normal self when I'm talking to Nora and Ayo.

"I'm good," he turns to Ara. "Hey," he greets softly. My eyes involuntarily narrow at the sight of them. I don't miss the connotations that his 'hey' has, and also the way Ara's eyes just suddenly fail to meet mine. And of course, the way Alex's hand slowly slides behind her waist.

Osas's voice abruptly fills my head. Ara and Alex have been a thing for a long time.

Are they officially dating now?

I silently excuse myself, for the first time eager to spill this new found information to somebody. Anybody. And so when I walk into the library and find Travis at his favorite corner by the window it's the first thing I say.

"Alex and Ara are dating."

"What?" His face contorts with confusion. I take a seat next to him and bring out my jotter from my bag, just as a cover, I didn't come here to read.

"Exactly what you heard."

"And how did you get this information?" He sits up, still unconvinced.

"I just saw them, you needed to see the way they were looking at each other. Alex put his hand on her waist and there was this air around them," I explain, trying to ignore the weird look Travis was giving me.