Chapter 40- Jibril

This is who we are now- Salma

The bridge between both our families only get worse as the days roll by. My dad has refused to say anything more than the classic it was a misunderstanding. But mum? Oh she's furious, she's boiling. And I'm guessing aunt Farah is as well because it took Salma a lot of hiding and sneaking out for her to stand right in front of me now.

It's 5 in the evening and coming out around now is risky, especially for her since her house is farther. Don't blame me though, honestly I'd much rather bury myself in my physics textbooks and coffee than to face this new reality. But she said it was important so...here we are.

"Hey," she starts quietly. I notice the difference in her whole demeanor. She looks like she's grown an extra three years on her. She looks tired. I wonder how her house is.

"Hey," I reply, matching her energy. She inhales deeply and suddenly decides that it would be better if we sat, so she cleans up the bench nearby and takes a sit, beckoning for me to do the same.

"Hakeem is very sure that your father stole. I don't know what they're planning but it's something major," she says. I feel my jaw clench involuntarily.

"What do you mean by what they're planning?"

"Hakeem...I think he wants to take over the business," she reveals.

"He can't. My dad owns like 70 percent of the shares."

"He's been buying shares from people."

"Well he hasn't bought from dad," I grunt. Right?

"I just wanted to tell you. I didn't realize just how greedy my brother had become-"

"Your brother's a hypocrite. A messed up hypocrite," I spit. She pauses, slightly alarmed. For a moment I think she's going to take offense but she places her hand on mine.

"He is. I think they all are. I wish I could do more to help but I don't even understand most of what they say," she frowns.

"It's not your mistake so you shouldn't have to fix it. I just hope my dad can solve it as soon as possible."

"I think we should stop being friends, until they settle," she adds quickly. I feel a subtle shift in my chest, that's not very surprising. It's very reasonable as well.

"That's fine. You should get going before it's too late, thanks for the info," I concede.

"Don't get me wrong Jibril-"

"I get it. I really do. But I also want you to get home in one piece," I interrupt her. She stays quiet, searching my eyes for something that she apparently doesn't find because she gives up and does as I say. I watch in silence as she boards the next bus home, waiting until it disappears before I make my way to Yamil's.

••••

"Dude." This is the only word that Yamíl says when I enter his room. His mum had said the same thing to me when I saw her. That is to explain the extent of my disheveled look. I collapse on his bed.

"What happened to you?" He asks, dropping his pencil and coming to stand over. Yamíl and drafting houses, I've always told him that he'll be the one to build my house. Then it'll be on the front cover of Architectural Digest.

"Think of the worst thing that could have happened to a boy like me," I say because I'm not quite ready to narrate it.

"Sal broke up with you?" He answers immediately. Hearing his nickname for her makes half of my brain scream. What is wrong with me? I didn't even know her for that long.

"Worse."

"The wedding got cancelled?"

"Close."

"Wait, the wedding got cancelled? Why?" He sits down, eyes all wide.

"Hakeem, her brother is claiming that my father stole money from the business," I spill.

"What on Earth?"

"Exactly. Exactly. It's the audacity for me. He's claims don't even make sense, he's just an alcoholic who probably bet all the money away," I wave my hands histerically.

"But it is your father's business. How does one steal money from his own business?"

"The money was supposed to buy lands for the branch in Ibadan but he blew it and now he's got no hiding place except this freaking lie!"

"That his family believes," Yamíl supplies.

"Completely."

"And now Sal can't be with you anymore."

"We can't even be friends."

"This is so sad."

We stay silent for a moment, just contemplating exactly how sad this whole this is.

"But if you guys don't have the money how are you going to buy the land?" He asks, breaking the silence.

"Dude, I have no idea. I just want to sleep and wake up and find all this solved and forgotten."

"I get...up for some CoD?"

"Always," I answer immediately. Yamíl turns on the TV and throws the consoles at me. In less than a minute we're killing enemies with a bowl of chin chin between us.

And in my head, everyone I kill is either Hakeem or his betraying father Khalil.