Chapter 56- Everybody

All is well, Under the well- a random Lagosian.

Travis uses his leg to splash water on Faith for the umpteenth time, gaining a glare from her. He's been trying to get her to swim in the ocean with him but Faith's been to busy reading the tour guide she got at the store last week. It's all she ever reads now. An in depth book about New Jersey.

That's good for Travis though, because it means she's serious with schooling in New Jersey, somewhere close to him. Teenage love wasn't the most successful but Travis had hit gold with Faith.

"Travis leave me alone!" She cries, finally dropping the guide.

"Come swim first," he cries back. Faith sits up and considers him.

"Are the others in the water as well?" She asks.

"They've been for the past thirty minutes. Look over there!" He points north east and sure enough, Osas and Tiwa are racing each other in the ocean, which is pointless to Travis but he keeps is opinion to himself. Nearby Jibril is comfortably reading a novel on his small boat and Yamíl is right next to him, blabbing on and on about something Jibril seems completely uninterested in.

Faith grunts in defeat and gets up. She jumps into the water without much ado and resurfaces behind Travis.

"Race you to where Osas and the others are?" She offers.

"If I win you have to follow me to watch The Hulk tomorrow," Travis replies immediately.

"And if I win you'll have to do whatever I say for a whole day."

"That doesn't seem nearly fair," he huffs. Faiths shrugs in reply but doesn't wait for him to reconsider before burying herself back into the water. Travis hurriedly does the same before the gap between them becomes too much.

Despite his challenging race, Faith ends up next to Jibril's float first, grinning at him.

"I won," she says the moment he's in ear shot.

"I know," he deadpans.

"You guys, we were thinking of getting some grilled fish to celebrate our IELTS scores," Jibril says to them from his float.

"That's a wonderful idea, more food and more fun," Tiwa yays from behind him. Osas rolls her eyes at her but she's still smiling like a primary school kid. They're all graduating soon, leaving the country. As sad as it is to be separated the group decided not to ponder so much on that part. Instead, they were going to spend the rest of their days together.

"Alrighty then, let's get out of this water before that wave comes and washes us all away," Yamíl advises, looking at incoming wave warily. They all swim back to shore with heightened speed, their fear of the wave pumping adrenaline into them.

Osas gets to the shore first and she takes supreme delight in watching her friends swim back towards her. They've been through hell this year but here they were, all laughing and happy. Looking onward.

Yamíl and both of his mothers were waxing stronger by the day, Travis's dad was so healthy he could work for longer hours, Jibril's mum had reinvested in a coal company, a decision that quickly proved to be the right one, Faith's mum (praise the Lord) would actually listen to her speak and Osas? Osas took it day by day, not rushing anything with her parents. Her source of joy were her friends and her sister, who was currently on her second honeymoon. At this rate labour pains will be in the works.

Yamíl stomps his foot on the sand as he walks up to her.

"You good?" He asks, raising a brow.

"I've never been better."

____________________
AND THAT'S A WRAP!

I'm genuinely so happy and proud of each and every character in this book! I'm proud of myself for finishing it so soon and I'm proud of each and every reader who voted and commented on the chapters.

I know there are still some unanswered questions but keep in mind this is the first edit. I'll be holding some Q&A sessions on my Instagram page @the_nerd_goldie when the views grow a little larger.

Never fear, this is definitely not the last you'll see of these teens. There'll be a sequel coming up soon, follow me to get the announcement when it comes up.

Once again, thank you to everyone who's been a part of this story. I love you all so much❤️