Chapter 12

A lone silhouette of a man travels through the grassy plains of the outlands of Hearth. His advance seems to come leisurely as the arrival brings penury to the once green plains.

     The presence that travels with him drains the life from all that it touches. As it reaches ahead, it whips the clouds of dust away, revealing the looming threat. It is Damen’s tired body pacing slowly forward to the Kingdom of Hearth. His clothes are tattered and flow without restraint in the dust filled air.

     Each step takes him almost a whole minute to complete the landing to the ground. The young man breathes heavily with great exhaustion, as black shadow like vines stem from out of his spine.

     The menacing shadows crawl and creep along the ground much like painted images. A multitude of these entities form from singular lines and spread out innumerably like the branches of trees; piercing through the surrounding area and decimating whatever stands in its path.

In the Kingdom of Hearth…

     Vivian rushes into the war room. “Come quick! There’s something going on outside of the Kingdom in the far west!” she yells out to the assembly of men.

     The group all run to the window and look out at the approaching dust cloud. “That is something… But just what the hell is it?” Grantham questions as he bites down on his nails to fix them.

     Travis looks at the distance between the traveling dust cloud and the kingdom. The estimated measurement of the distance is almost about three-hundred sixty yards from the castle. “That can’t be right. They said he wouldn’t be here until six days from our talk.” the young man admits out loud.

     Logan shakes his head. “How foolish of you to trust one of those creatures…” The predicted events begin to move along faster than expected. The young prince takes a moment to review the course of action that was recently discussed in the War room.

     Travis looks at Grantham and nods. “Evacuate the people and gather them into the castle!” he pounds the oath of Hearth back at Grantham. The man responds the same, then gives the order to his men.

The unforgiving acolyte of a usurper and their undying selfishness…

     Grantham and his men scatter into the towns. They encourage the people to come to the castle; pointing at the coming dust cloud in the distance warning them.

     The people all ignore the warnings and continue about their day. “You want us to come to the castle? Why? Does your tyrant King require more bodies to his already high count?” Citizens all begin to murmur aloud. “Who are these men exactly? Are they serving under the Zae?”

     Grantham loses his patience. “Yes, we work for that prince of yours! We’ve been asked to protect you good folks! Now get your asses up to the castle!” he orders the citizens.

     “Do not follow those abhorrent followers of the Zae!” a man exclaims as he walks from the crowd. He walks forward with a cane and an arm brace strapped tightly to his shoulder and torso. His long flowing blonde hair moves along with each step.

     “These men have played a critical part in the usurping of the throne from Lord Zeres!” The people stare at the man. “That’s General Avery!” the people all comment as they recognize the once famed General of Zeres militia.

     Avery takes in the cheers of the people who quickly recognize him. Waving with his undamaged hand at the citizens. “I was there! I was there to witness the dejected fall of our King!”