Epilogue

Having traveled a great distance the first week of their departure from Adacost, Travis, Vivian and Damen along with Walles and the survivors of the VeChrome tribe, split up to discuss the laws of the Kingdom of Hearth.

     As agreed, Travis talks in private with the young leader Walles. Together they built a campfire to keep them warm throughout the long discussion.

     The two of them sit a small distance from the site of glowing warmth and look at Vivian and Damen talk with the divided group of people. Unsure of where to start, Travis listens to the topics that Vivian brings up to the VeChrome.

     “I’m more than certain she is up to the job of leading the Kingdom of Hearth. All I seem to know how to do is resolve smaller matters. Vivian actually looks like a leader.” Travis notes openly as Walles watches him.

     The young man laughs lightly and talks of the history he and Vivian have. “Originally, she made me an offer. I was to give her and her bounty hunters the Kingdom of Hearth after my Uncle was removed from the throne.”

     “Turns out, she didn’t actually want it. Vivian just wanted to give the men who were like brothers to her a better life where she didn’t have to risk them dying for the profession.” Travis admits as Walles seems thrown off by the description of Vivian.

     “She’s led other people before? Is that a normal thing women do outside of Adacost?” the boy ask with uncertainty. Travis nods at the question and goes back to talking.

     “Yeah, it is. There’s even a whole Kingdom run by a Queen and not a King. The place ran well and the people and the knights all respect her. They adored her daughter as if she were there own.”

     “But, I really do wish some days that Vivian would have taken the Kingdom from me. Maybe the people would have stayed, reluctantly, but at least they’d be home.” he states with a sigh.

     Walles runs his finger through the dirt. “Do you not want us there?” he ask meekly. Travis turns to him and place a hand on the shoulder of the boy. “What makes you say that? I’m glad I met you, I’m just not quite sure I’ll be the leader you all need. Maybe Vivian could guide me.”

     “But, it’s embarrassing to imagine what she’d think of me, to know that the heir to the throne is scared of messing everything up.” the young man confesses as he pulls the hood of his robe on his head.

     Walles grabs onto the robe sleeve to get Travis’s attention. Unlike with other, he does not react from the touch of the special robe. The young man looks at Walles and smiles.

     The boy gives a look of confusion as he watch the bright smile. “Your words and emotions are all over the place. First you sound sad and now you’re smiling.” he remarks.

     “I trust you, because I know knowledge is within everyone; even more so in those younger than myself.” Travis says the words as if they were scripted.

     “My father used to say that to me a lot when I was a little one. It means we lose a valuable perspective of life as we age and mature. Sorry, I know I’m rambling. Let’s just say that I am very anxious. I’ll get right to the point. Hearth is not like Adacost. Our laws are still a bit behind the times, but we don’t encourage the ways that women are treated and there are no challenges to prove your status as men.”

     “I don’t believe you’re that way Walles, especially with how much you followed your mother’s orders. But, I need you to reinforce that with your people. Mainly so Vivian doesn’t end up killing them. I prevented that as much as I could during our time in Adacost…” Travis finishes as the fire starts to dim.

     Walles tosses more fire wood into the fire and stokes the sticks. “My people may need time to adjust, but I promise not to disrespect your people or mines.”

     Travis reaches his hands out near the flames. “Despite my Blessing, I don’t seem to fear fire. If it’s not too much to ask. Could you do me a favor?” the young man ask as he shivers from the warmth.

     “What is it?” Walles ask him curiously. “Lend me your wisdom and your strength. I may have encouraged and pushed for you all to come to the Kingdom, but I’m terrified of leading…”

     “I’ll avoid it as much as I can, but I know someone has to do it. No…I have to be the one to do it. It’s what my father left to me and I should complete the job.” Travis states plainly as the skin on the tips of his fingers burn away.

     He pulls his hands away from the fire and balls his fingers into a fist, using the cold of the palm of his hands to dull the pain of the Blessing.

     “You sound like me now. Just lead in the way that only you can. I know you’ll do great as King. And if not, then you have me to go to for advice on the chores of the job.” Walles comforts Travis with the confidence in his words.

     The searing stops as the words are spoken. Travis sighs loudly and glances over at the boy. “I’ll be keeping you to your word, Walles. With all of your skills as a leader, I’m confident I’ll grow with your help.”