Chapter 182 - Old Ghosts

Chapter Cover: Eve standing by herself as she was looking down toward ground with her hair dancing in the wind...

X779

Gajeel and I were both walking through the forest that surrounded the village. I had some feathers flying about us as I was sensing the area for residual magic energy. There was no saying if those people that had been abducting people were wizards, thought I was wondering why that mostly young teenage girls were taken.

"What exactly are you doing?" the Dragon Slayer asked, giving me a glance from where he was, a curious look upon his face, "You're going to draw a lot of attention at this rate."

"I'm just testing out a spell of mine," I said giving the young man a glance, "I'm using my feathers to sense the area around us for if the people that were doing the kidnapping were wizards. I might be able to pick up on their trace."

"That sound like a pain in the ass," Gajeel said.

I gave him a stare.

"So you have another idea as to how we're going to be able to find these people?" I asked him.

The young man let out a soft hum almost as if he was thinking about something and I let out a sigh. Thinking back to what the Mayor actually told us about the people that were kidnapping villagers, it was a rumor in a town not too far away from here, and there were talks of people going missing. I have heard of something like this before when I was at Matlock Orphanage. They were talk back then in town about kids going missing and even the talk of a town burning down. That had been why people had been so afraid of going out at night…

I had deduced that it had been because of the cult back then…but what could it be now?

"…fish," Gajeel said simply.

I blinked and turned my attention toward him.

"You said something?"

"I'm smelling fist," Gajeel said frowning, "Like…raw fish."

I stared at the Dragon Slayer.

"You're thinking with your stomach again aren't you?" I said, "I know it's nearing lunchtime and all, but can't you tone it down a bit, we've got a job to do here."

Gajeel stared at me with annoyed look upon his face.

"It's not that," he said, "I've been smelling fish ever since we've got into the village. I thought that it was the people who were selling the stuff but I smell it all over this forest too."

I stared at him for a long moment.

"Fish?" I murmured, "But this village is at the base of a mountain and we are nowhere near a body of water for this village to be a like that…"

Gajeel gave me a glance.

"You've figured something out?"

I smirked beneath my mask.

"Gajeel, do you think you can track down that scent?" I asked glancing at him, "and lead us right toward where it came from."

"What am I? Your dog?"

"No," I said, "I simply realized that you might just have given us a way to find those kidnappers."

The Dragon Slayer gave me a look before a smirk crossed his face.

"Alright," he said, "Let's go hunting."

With Gajeel leading us straight toward the direction the scent of the fish was coming from, I followed after him, dispersing my golden feathers as we moved through the trees. They hadn't been a lot of people around us but then Gajeel suddenly stopped before dropping down to his knees. I came to stand beside him and stared down at what he was looking at. On the muddy ground was the sign of footprints, and from the size, they were male sized foot. I kneeled down beside him as well.