9. Oops.

Chapter 9: Oops.

The hybrid is the first one to wake up in the web of bodies sprawled across the bed. Malcolm is sleeping on the extreme left with Arrow still tangled in his arms and to their right, Milo is pressed against Victor's chest, both of them dead as flight. London who is on the extreme right side of the bed, takes the chance to admire them individually. They fit so well together, like they've always shared the humongous bed.

His eyes travel to Victor's back and he has to support himself on his forearm to get a look at his peaceful face. He didn't look so... Rested in ages, his sleeping pattern is the worst and he's always snappy at best when he wakes up. A loving smile finds its way to his lips when he notices that he's holding Malcolm's hand while Arrow and Milo are squashed between them. It never occurred to him that Victor had been the one to look out for them everyday for years and now, he finally gets to rest, knowing that his brother is there to lift the weight off his shoulders.

London wants that too.

He wants Victor to sleep so soundlessly in his presence, knowing that whatever danger comes, he'd be protected and safe. As well as the others. The mere thought of it, makes his empty chest swell with pride and he lowers his face, nuzzling it in his husband's neck, kissing it lightly and hugging his waist from behind.

“There are worst things to wake up to,” Victor's sleepy voice interrupts the silence; or rather Milo's soft sighs and light snores.

“I didn't mean to wake you up,” London's lips are all over his neck and jaw, making him moan in delight, the hands around his waist squeeze and he's on alert.

His mood shifts and his whole body stiffens when London's hard cock rubs against his backside. “What are you doing?” panick laces with his words and London starts drawing soothing circles on the tense man's waist.

“I am in love with you, Montgomery.” he breathes down his ear, causing goosebumps to run down his spine.

It never gets old hearing it and it's almost enough to make him melt in his husband's arms but he knows better. He has been expecting it and he knows he's running out of time because it's a matter of days before his rank gets challenged and when it's done, he doesn't know why he's doing it.

Was he not good enough? Is it because he failed to protect them in the first place or he didn't see through Toby's deception.

Toby, there goes that name again. A forever lurking reminder of his failure as a husband and protector. The word might not describe how he actually feels about all of it.

He should've known better, it was his job. Something like that would have never escaped Malcolm, but it's no surprise because he has always been a better warlock and a much more accomplished man than him.

Now London sees it too. He sees him for the fraud he is, he doesn't trust him anymore with anything. Maybe it's for the best, this way he won't stand a chance to disappoint him again.

The mere speculation of what's to come sends a numbing pain across his entire body, without responding to his husband's words, he slips out of the warm bed, his body regretting the comfort of being with all of them at once but his mind screaming he is unworthy.

“Where are you going?” London sits up in his naked glory, watching Victor pull clean underwear from their closet and pull it up his legs.

It's still dark outside, he was sleeping so soundlessly and London hates himself for taking that away from him.

“Bathroom,” he mumbles through the thickness settling on his chest and turns to give London a determined look. “Please, I need a moment alone.” saying those words, he knew that he wouldn't follow him, it's an unsaid rule that whenever one of them is overwhelmed, the others must respect the choice to stay alone.