Chapter five

I sat on the patio as the cool wind blew and the clouds engulfed the sky

I sat on the patio as the cool wind blew and the clouds engulfed the sky. Evara was jumping on the trampoline not too far away from me, so I got the chance to look after her while I gave myself a minute to rest.

"It'll rain finally," I heard Natalia say behind me. I looked back surprised.

"Natalia," a smile tugged my lips as she sat down beside me on the edge of the porch. "I thought I'd only see you tomorrow," the day that I desperately wanted not to come.

"I found some of Eva's toys back in my place. I thought I could bring them over and check up on you. Since, you know," she looked down at her lap and I nodded.

"There's not much I can do, though. I've waited long enough," Natalia nodded as she brought her hand to rest on my back and gently caressed it.

"Personally, I wouldn't have hidden her from him at all, but I know where you are coming from. And I know Nico well enough to know that he won't be mad," she said as I averted my eyes away from her and looked at my daughter jumping around the trampoline and eventually laying down with her arms and legs spread apart widely. That sight brought a smile out of me.

"What should I be worried about? Apart from Nicolas?" I asked as I rubbed my hands together, trying desperately to calm my heart down.

"What do you mean?"

"What would Eduardo be capable of?" Natalia removed her hand from my back and shifted in her seat as silence took over. "I'm serious, Nat. You haven't told me something and I'm starting to think it's much more significant than you are making it out to be," I looked over at her, seeing her eyes directed at the grass below.

"Eduardo is a sick man, Bri. That should be enough for you to make up a general picture of him," she explained, making me question how it was possible to sound so damn vague.

"He was welcoming to me," I said, remembering the time he walked in on me in the library as well as the time he offered to show me around the most precious and ancient rooms of the estate he resided in. "It almost felt like he truly wanted something from me and yet before I left, he threatened me," Natalia looked over at me with worry in her eyes. "He told me that I should better stay away from his son, otherwise he was going to take away everyone that I cared about." I looked down. "How can I be sure he won't hesitate to take her away from me just because he can?" I thought out loud and looked at my daughter, still lying on the trampoline, catching a break.

"Was that the primary reason why you kept her from him?" I nodded, biting the inside of my cheek without any awareness.

"I suppose I don't think I can fully trust that Nicolas is capable enough to look after her. He's been going on and on about how he wants to get rid of his father yet all it has been for so many years is nothing but words and empty promises," I heard Natalia sigh beside me.

"You overthink everything, my love. And just because the plan hasn't exactly been going smoothly, doesn't mean that he doesn't want it to be executed. I can't blame him," she added.