Chapter eight

"Brielle, what happened?" Nate asked me as I looked at the many flowers in the greenhouse

"Nothing I thought wouldn't. He's in love with someone else and thinks I'm a damn jerk for leaving," I said as I touched a monstera leaf.

"That can't be true," I glanced at Nate.

"Well, it is."

"Did you tell him?" I looked at Nate as though he was stupid. "Brielle, this can't last so long-"

"What did you want me to do? Tell a man that saw me as nothing more than fucking trash that he has a daughter?" I scoffed, looking back at the greenery. "When the time is right, he'll know."

"And when will that be, Bri? When Evara is eighteen? Will you drop her at his doorstep and tell him then that she is his fucking daughter? Will you strip away eighteen years that he could've helped you raise her from him?" I turned around to face Nathanial.

"I hope that you understand how little he made me feel in that office today. Do you understand what is like to be told by someone you love that they want nothing to do with you?" Nate's jaw clenched before he took a step towards me and pointed his finger at me.

"You have no idea how many times I've felt like that. So don't try to act the victim here, Brielle. My terms are clear to you and I would appreciate if you went by them," I rolled my eyes and turned around to look at anything but him. "If you don't promise me that he will know in the next few days, then you best believe I will tell him. I'm tired of this, Brielle," Nate said before I heard him walk away and eventually leave me alone in the greenhouse.

I was surprised that the moment the door closed, tears began to stream down my face. I didn't know what it was about but I did feel far too overwhelmed. I suppose that one part of me was sure that Nico would react in a much better way. Maybe I took his good heart for granted this time and probably did not give him enough credit for the way he reacted.

After all, he had every right to throw me out of here yet he refrained. And even though I had a valid reason for hiding from him for the past three years, he didn't know it. He was unaware of everything I had to go through and endure to get to this point in time.

But he did the same in other terms.

After a minute longer, I wiped my cheeks and left the glass room, feeling a sense of nostalgia hit. In slightly different ways, this was all the same as the first time I'd come here. Just then, I had my sister with me and wasn't tied to Nicolas through a child.

I walked past the library and headed towards the kitchen for a drink. I almost collided with a beautiful woman that I had searched for before on the internet. She smiled apologetically at me before taking a step back and looking me up and down.

"You must be Allegra," I said, making her nod. She truly looked the part of a mob boss's wife with her black jumpsuit and red lipstick. Her long, and lush brown hair was curled and pinned in the back with a few loose strands left hanging in front of her face.