Chapter twenty-nine

I couldn't keep my eyes away from Brielle as she talked to her friends

I couldn't keep my eyes away from Brielle as she talked to her friends. She looked like an actual angel despite the black dress. I wanted to kiss her the moment she walked in but I knew I couldn't. I finally had everything I needed for Eduardo to write everything away to me. Whatever would come next, I could worry about later.

"Scared about losing her again?" I heard my sister's voice.

"You found out?" She nudged my arm, making me smile. "Figured you'd do that eventually."

"I hope that you won't let her go again," I looked down at her. "I will kill you if you do that," I chuckled as I looked away, trying to spot my girl in the crowd.

"Understood," I watched as Brielle laughed at something Aurora said. It made me happy to know that my mother loved her. I valued my mother's opinion over anyone else's in my family, so knowing she approved of Brielle made me certain that the small velvet box, burning a hole in my pocket, was definitely going to serve its purpose.

I noticed Matias approach us with a smile. He wore a black tux and a pair of glasses on his face that reflected the lights from around the room.

"May I steal the beautiful woman?" I forced a smile at the attempted flattery before looking down at my sister. He grabbed her hand before placing a kiss on her knuckles. They disappeared onto the dance floor as the music continued to play in the background. I watched the way they danced, the only ones on the dancefloor.

Everyone's eyes were set on them and I noticed Giovanni standing on the sidelines, leaning against the entry to the ballroom. He looked defeated in some sense but he hid it well. I thought about approaching him but as more and more people began to join my sister and her fiancé on the dance floor, I headed towards the woman I desired to touch more than anything on this planet.

She stood there alone as she smiled at her friends dancing and almost jumped when I appeared in front of her. I smiled down at her and held out my hand which she looked down at.

"I promised you a dance, didn't I?" She smiled and placed her small hand in my palm. I led her to the dancefloor, feeling other people's eyes right on us. I placed my hand on the small of her back as her hand came down on my shoulder. We began to move like the others but instead of caring that anyone was looking at us, I felt like it was just us in the room. There was no one else, just her and I.

"Everyone's staring at us," she whispered as she looked at me. I maintained a composed demeanour, refraining from smiling or displaying any visible reaction, determined to exude a sense of tranquillity in the presence of others.

"They're just jealous that I have the most beautiful woman with me," the lightest shade of pink touched her cheeks.

"Or maybe they envy me because I am dancing with the most desired bachelor," I almost smiled. "Sorry, married bachelor," I gripped her hand harder as we moved to the music.