Chapter eighteen

I sat in a coffee shop by the Coliseum with Verona, who had gone to the bathroom

I sat in a coffee shop by the Coliseum with Verona, who had gone to the bathroom. I watched the people walking around the historic monument and was quite overwhelmed by the nice weather.

I found myself unable to stop myself from thinking about whatever happened yesterday between Nicolas and me. I went to bed upset with myself but couldn't help and feel like the biggest rock was lifted from my chest and stomach. And on top of that, I had a better chance of having a decent conversation with him rather than fighting consecutively and never getting anywhere with that.

I had news to tell him and it had to happen soon.

And I had to admit, hearing him reassure me regarding Allegra and his feelings towards her, made me feel some happiness. It was the only thing that let me believe I could do this and admit to him about Evara. I now had actual hope that he would be delighted to hear it and wouldn't be mad at me until he realised why I did what I did.

"Sorry, there was a queue to the restroom and I had to wait," I heard Verona say before she sat down in front of me.

We came to one of the prettiest cafes in Rome right by the Coliseum after she had invited me to spend some time together. She wanted to talk about Vittoria's bachelorette party as well as get to know me better which I found delightful.

However, since I was now aware of the true meaning behind the union, it made it much harder for me to act like I was excited to see Vic walk down the aisle.

I did not judge her but was sad she wouldn't be experiencing her big day the right way. And with the man of her dreams, not some guy from Spain that wanted nothing more than to fool his own family rivals.

"How are you finding Italy this time?" I smiled before taking a sip of my Aperol Spritz.

"It's weird, to say the least," I admitted. "Not necessarily in a bad way but I am finding it very challenging, per se," she smiled and glanced at the monument built further from us.

Verona wore a white blouse with colourful details as well as white jeans and a pair of black-rimmed sunglasses. Her hair was put up in a high ponytail while a small bow was tied around it with fabric that resembled that of her top. On top of that, she wore a gold necklace with a diamond pendant and a few Cartier bracelets on her right wrist and a simple watch on her left.

Because of the decent weather today, I decided to wear a pair of loose and wide, light grey pants with a white bodysuit underneath. I wore a pair of white sneakers for shoes and left my hair down. The sunglasses I had on the crown of my head served as a decent headband to keep the unnecessary hair out of my eyes.

I wore the same silver necklace with the letter E on it and underneath it, a letter N lay. I had always had it on this particular necklace but courtesy of the ball and the plethora of eyes on me all throughout the evening, I removed it for safety. It was much easier to explain someone else's letter than someone's that I clearly had a history under the roof of the estate.