Two

Theodore deftly fastened his black necktie, ensuring it sat just right after meticulously buttoning his gray shirt. With a final adjustment, he slipped his arms into his coat and stole a quick, approving glance in the mirror. Grabbing his keys from the study desk, he hurriedly exited his bedroom, fully aware that he was running late for the birthday party; he knew his parents would undoubtedly pester him.

He jumped into his car and secured his seatbelt, the engine of his gleaming white SUV roaring to life. As the garage door smoothly lifted, he tuned the radio to his liking and accelerated as swiftly as possible towards the hotel.

Pushing open the door to the ballroom, Theodore's footsteps reverberated on the polished ceramic floor, while overhead, crystal chandeliers cast a radiant glow. In the heart of the room, a quartet serenaded the guests with their melodious tunes. The attendees were resplendent in formal attire, with the women adorned in glistening jewelry and the men exuding an air of intimidation in their impeccable suits and tuxedos. His eyes darted around the room, and there, he spotted his parents engrossed in conversation with the man of the hour—the host of the soirée and the honored birthday celebrant—the distinguished Justice of the Supreme Court, Leandro Aquino.

With purpose, Theodore advanced, acknowledging the other guests with curt nods.

"Happy birthday, Justice," he greeted, extending his hand for a firm shake.

"No need to be so formal, Theodore."

"You're late," his mother whispered to his ear.

"Apologies," he replied. "Traffic was quite heavy."

"I heard you're among the top of the graduating class," the Justice said, grinning. "As expected from your son, Alfredo."

Theodore's father beamed with pride as he affectionately patted his son's back. "I can't take any credit."

"I assume you're planning to pursue law as well?" the Justice inquired.

Theodore nodded affirmatively. "Yes, Justice, that's the plan."

"It's a long journey ahead, but good luck. I'm sure you'll succeed."

"That means a lot coming from you. Thank you," Theodore answered. "And I could say the same for you, our future Chief Justice."

A glint of pride shone in the Justice's eyes, and the corners of Theodore's parents' mouths curled upward. Theodore had successfully flattered the most significant figure in the room; he could now go his own way.

He cleared his throat with a polite smile. "Well, if you'll excuse me. I see that the buffet table is filled with delicious dishes I haven't tried yet."

"Of course, of course," the Justice replied gleefully. "Enjoy."

Theodore made his way to the buffet table, helping himself to some delectable hors d'oeuvres and a glass of red wine. His gaze scanned the room, searching for potential connections to forge that evening. While he knew most of the guests, he wasn't inclined to engage in conversation unless it held some benefit for him. His social energy had waned.

As the grand door swung wide, Theodore's head instinctively turned in its direction. Jacob Allegre strode in, accompanied by his parents, both renowned surgeons in their own right.

Jacob's shoulders boasted a solid, imposing frame, and his handsome face seemed perpetually etched with an air of arrogance and boredom. He had never made an effort to feign interest in these opulent soirées. What was the point of him attending? No one seemed to know the answer.

Theodore took another sip.

Jacob nonchalantly strolled toward the buffet table, a few ladies their age blushing in his wake. He stopped before Theodore and shot him an apathetic look.