Eighteen

It's warm. It smells good. And it's really, really comfortable.

"This is nice..." Theodore mumbles, gradually blinking his eyes open.

His head is foggy, though he can sense his right cheek pressed against something solid, his left arm and leg clinging to a firm, muscled body.

It takes Theodore a moment before it sinks in that he is embracing Jacob. The bolster pillow is above their heads, clearly not fulfilling its intended purpose.

How did this happen?

He grimaces and withdraws carefully to avoid waking Jacob up, his blood rushing through his veins.

"Did you have a good sleep?"

Stella's voice breaks the silence. She's propping her chin on her palm, lying cozily on the bed, her lips twitching in amusement.

"Did you..."

"Yep. I saw. I watched. And I took a souvenir." She swings her phone with a teasing grin.

"Delete it," Theodore orders sternly. Stella sticks her tongue out.

"Why would I? You guys looked so cute. You were holding Jacob so tightly. Very territorial. No one's gonna steal him, ya know."

His blushes, nostrils flaring. "Stella, I swear I'll—"

"What? What're you gonna do?" Stella taunts. "I'll show this to Jacob."

"Stella—!" Theodore accidentally raises his voice.

Jacob makes a low grunt as he also jolts awake, rubbing his eyes.

"Hm? What time is it?" he asks in a raspy voice.

"It's 9 AM," Stella responds, sitting upright.

"That's early..."

"It's late!" Theodore replies and stands up from the floor, glaring at his best friend.

Jacob tilts his head, his messy fringes hitting his eyebrows. "Why are you yelling, Theo?"

"I'm not!"

Theodore hadn't been sleeping well lately due to stress, but that morning, despite his reluctance to admit it, he feels well-rested.

"I... I'll just take a shower... And I don't have spare clothes for you, Stella."

"Yeah, yeah," Stella scoffs. "But you have clothes for Jacob."

"We have the same build!"

"We do?"

"You only have broader shoulders!"

Stella nods. "His chest is more muscular, too."

Theodore grumbles, "The point is, he can get away with whatever I have. If not, he can walk back to his place. It's five minutes away."

Jacob pulls himself up and yawns, "Nah, I'll wear your clothes."

He has no plans to leave.

"Aw, that's cute. You guys share clothes."

Theodore clears his throat. "Anyway! What's the plan, Stella?"

She leaves the bed and heads to the kitchen to get a glass of water. "I'll get a cab to my place so I can change. Then I'll meet you at the hospital."

"Okay. We'll see you there."

She leers at Theodore after finishing her drink.

"What's the rush? Why are you kicking me out?"