Twenty-Four

On that Friday morning, Theodore's mother calls him repeatedly. Unfortunately, he misses her first call while he's in the shower and the second one because his phone is on silent. Olivia eventually leaves a text message inviting him to come home for dinner.

Theodore glances at his pile of work he has to do from home, remembering the amount of comments he has to write, and then cringes.

He apologizes to his mother and informs her that he can't make it. There's no immediate response.

By 4 PM, Theodore manages to finish all his work, surprisingly earlier than he initially expected. His eyes and lower back feel strained, but he's deeply content with the help he's provided to the victims seeking assistance from their center. As he delves into their cases, he realizes how desperate and in need of legal aid many people are. And he can help. So he will.

Theodore plops down on the bed, stretching his arms. The silence is suddenly deafening.

He becomes acutely aware of how small and empty the unit is with him alone. Austin has gone home for the weekend, and Theodore hasn't heard from Jacob.

Theodore clicks his tongue, realizing that Austin was right. Jacob had spoiled him, and now he feels like something is missing from his life. He takes a deep breath and makes a decision. Staying in the unit will drive him crazy. He can almost imagine Jacob sitting on the couch, in the dining area, or just coming out of the washroom - he's in every corner.

With newfound determination, Theodore changes into a pair of jeans and a blue polo shirt, grabs his car keys, and rushes out.

******

As soon as Jacob steps into the Aguilar's home, his curiosity leads him to wonder about Theodore's room. It might sound a bit intrusive, but he can't help but wonder if it's anything like his unit in Makati. Neat, almost uninhabited, and probably smelling of lavender. However, this is Theodore's childhood home, where he grew up, played games, watched Japanese cartoons, and shaped his dreams. There must be traces of his past here, a chance for Jacob to get to know him better.

Jacob gets a tingly feeling in his stomach as Olivia leads him to the dining area where Betty awaits.

"Hey," Betty says, a corner of her lips turning up. She waves a hand.

"Hi," he replies and then turns to Alfredo sitting adjacent to Betty. "Hello, Sir."

"Hello, Jacob. No need to be formal. Take a seat. We're still waiting for the chicken."

Jacob settles down next to Betty, as it seems to be the seat arranged for him. Olivia sits across from them.

"Is Theodore not coming tonight?" Alfredo inquires, and Jacob's attention sharpens.

"Oh, I'd love to see that guy! He never drops by at the firm," Betty comments, flicking her hair to the side. "You should have taken him in, too."

"I wish. But he had other plans... I didn't realize..." Olivia trails off, a tinge of disappointment in her tone. "I tried calling him this morning, and he never picked up. I sent him a text, and he replied that he was too busy to come."

Jacob's shoulders slump. Maybe he should consider returning to Makati for a day to see Theodore. The way their last phone call ended a few nights ago didn't sit right with him.

"I don't understand what's keeping him so occupied at that center," Alfredo grumbles. "I don't understand any of it."

"He's wasting his time. All the connections he tried building..."

Jacob folds his hands on his lap and responds politely, "Did you ever ask him why?"

Their eyes divert to him.