Fourteen

Jacob tightens his grip on his second glass of beer, his knuckles whitening with tension.

"I wish I could. But I... I don't know what else to do. I came back to enroll because I didn't know what to do with my life."

"Are you genuinely happy to be back?"

Jacob draws a deep breath. "I have no idea about what I feel. All I know is I don't want to quit. Not yet. And it's not that I don't like what I study... I don't want to not be able to do what I used to do, that's all. I want to swim. I want to be able to go out. Heck, I want to sleep."

"But that's not how it works," Theodore says, his tone rising a bit. "If you've chosen this path, you must accept that it demands a significant commitment to studying. It's a continuous process since new laws are enacted every year. You'll have to study for the rest of your life. And if you're not sure that you can do that, then..."

Theodore swallows, interlocking gazes with Jacob. "...then maybe you should reconsider dropping out."

A month ago, Theodore wouldn't have cared if Jacob decided not to enroll. But with everything that has happened between them, he feels comfortable—happy—to have him around. Funny how his perception of him changed so fast that the mere thought of him quitting is twisting his insides.

A group of friends behind them clink their glasses as Jacob's eyes turn somber.

"Do you think I should leave?" he asks. "Do you want me to quit?"

"That's not what I'm saying," Theodore answers, shifting in his seat. "I don't want you to waste your time and energy and money on something you're not sure of."

"So you want me to stay?"

Heat spreads through Theodore's face. "It's not about what I want. It's not about me. But I... I think you should decide on what you want to do and stick to that choice. Put your all into it. If you're staying, you have to work on your study habits. The offer to join our study group still stands, Jake. We can help you. We can help each other."

"Damn it." Jacob buries his face in his hands.

"I understand you're used to working by yourself... But it's different here. If you want to survive, you need to accept all the help you can get."

"Fine," Jacob concedes, his shoulders sagging.

"Okay. You'll have to submit assigned digests, alright?"

"Fine."

"It will help you manage your time."

"Fine."

"I'm also a five-minute walk away. In case you need a hand with anything."

Jacob eagerly lifts his head and rests his cheek on a curled fist, eyes flickering.

"Can I drop by whenever?"

Theodore drinks the last drop of his beer and averts his gaze. "I said in case you need a hand. Not just when you feel like it..."

Jacob lets out a peal of laughter—the first Theodore's ever heard. His chest loosens up in relief as he also admires Jacob's attractive features. He could listen to him all night.

"W-What's funny?"

"You look so flustered," Jacob utters, retaining a smirk on his lips. "Oh, well... I guess I can stay if it means I can see you every single day for four years."

Another chug of beer.

Theodore's mouth falls open, his brain cells launching into an internal discussion.