Twenty-Seven

The incessant ringing of the phone persists, gradually fading into the background until it becomes nothing more than distant noise, leaving only the sound of their hearts beating in the confined space.

As the weight of their intimate moment begins to sink in, Jacob tightens his grip, clutching Theodore's waist and drawing him even nearer. However, the electric intensity of the moment prompts Theodore to instinctively withdraw slightly, his chin trembling, yet their foreheads remain in tender contact.

"Theo," Jacob begins to speak, but Theodore halts him with an urgent plea. "No, don't say anything..."

Without breaking gaze, he states, "I'm not drunk. I know what I'm doing. You don't have an excuse now. Unless you... Unless you don't feel the same anymore–"

A sly smile escapes Jacob's lips, and he extends his arm over Theodore's shoulder, swiftly pulling the shower curtain closed. Alarm surges within Theodore as he realizes the possibility that someone might have witnessed their intimate moment.

Jacob's one hand remains on the small of Theodore's back, his left hand cupping his cheek.

The second their lips crash against each other again, Theodore's knees weaken. Jacob's hands are all over him, their bare skins grazing together, and it drives him wild. How long has it been since someone's touch has made him feel that way?

He can hear Jacob's heartbeat, fast and loud like his. Jacob becomes more eager as he motions to switch positions, and Theodore is now resting on the bathroom wall. Two years of holding himself back–the anticipation, the bottled-up cravings, explode all at once. He embraces Theodore tighter, sliding his tongue into his mouth, and Theodore squeezes his eyes shut, nearly out of breath. Jacob's fingers are on his back, fingernails digging, and he is quite sure they'll leave marks in the morning.

Theodore leans backward, face turning scarlet, a fruitless attempt to take a short pause.

"Just give me a moment... I need to... I need to catch my breath," he stammers.

"We're not done yet," Jacob mutters, voice raspy.

"What? We're in public! That's it... That's it." Theodore looks sideways, flustered. "I... I just wanted you to know."

"Know what? The kiss was amazing, but use your words, Theo."

Theodore winces, fists clenched. He takes a deep breath before interlocking gazes with Jacob.

"That I like you."

Jacob feels weightless, the words ringing in his ears over and over like some beautiful music he has only listened to for the first time in his life. These are words he never thought he'd hear from Theodore's lips. He leans in, eager to kiss him again, but Theodore retreats from the shower area.

"I said that's it! I'm going to get dressed..." Theodore mutters and then rushes to the lockers, his hair and body dripping wet.

"Careful. You might slip."

"I'm fine."

Jacob remains rooted to the spot, a wide smile stretching across his face, his cheeks hurting from the sheer happiness he feels. He didn't realize Theodore had an aggressive side, and he didn't mind it. Not at all.

He takes a brief shower and gets dressed. He sees Theodore sitting outside on a beach chair with his head down.

"Theo," Jacob calls out.

Theodore appears startled, standing up and awkwardly placing his hands behind him. "Yeah?"

"You mentioned you're hungry. Do you want to get dinner?"