Thirty-Eight

When Theodore arrives at the doorstep of the Allegres, he can't help but notice that Andrea is visibly distraught, her eyes bearing a trace of countless tears, and her skin once radiant has given way to paleness. She lifts her head, and the last flicker of light disappears when she doesn't find something, someone–the person who's supposed to hold her hand, anchor her, and give her hope. Theodore's chest tightens, and all he can offer at the moment is a sympathetic smile, a feeble attempt to convey his support.

"Theo," Olivia says, waving her hand to welcome his son. She disengages from Andrea's embrace and pats Theodore's shoulder fondly.

"Thanks for coming," Andrea mumbles meekly.

"Of course," he utters. "Jacob... Well... He..."

She nods in understanding, seemingly aware of his son's reservations toward his father.

He changes the focus to a more practical matter. "Um, have the authorities been notified?"

"No," she replies. "Emman wouldn't want the police to be involved."

"Do you have an idea where he might be? I can definitely check the usual places."

"I have... He isn't there."

"We've checked all their vacation houses, phoned everyone we could ask," Olivia continues. "And his passport is still here, so he didn't leave the country."

Theodore settles on the accent chair adjacent to the plush velvet sofa where the two sit, tapping his fingers on his chin in contemplation.

"Did he leave any note behind? His phone?"

Andrea shakes her head. "No notes, and his phone is turned off."

Theodore carefully chooses his words, "How was he the last few days? Did he show any signs of..." He trails off, not wanting to articulate the ominous possibility that looms over their conversation. Andrea tilts her head, her expression puzzled. As if it's never crossed her mind.

Jacob had mentioned his father's condition, and with the way things are going, they probably have to prepare for the worst case scenario. Yet, how can he say it himself without breaking his Tita Andrea's already fragile heart?

"What is it, Theo?" she implores.

He takes a deep breath. "Jacob... He told me that Dr. Emmanuel is suffering from depression. And..."

Andrea pinches her lips together, trembling, and tears begin to roll down her cheeks. Never in his wildest dreams did Theodore think he would witness one of the strongest women he's known unravel before him, and his stomach churns in an overwhelming guilt.

"I'm sorry, Tita, I—"

"No, no. I understand," she mutters through muffled sobs, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "Yes, it is true. But there wasn't any... Any signs of potential self-harm. No, I don't think so..."

Theodore moistens his lips, still skeptical, but his mother's knowing gaze persuades him to drop the subject. De-escalate the situation. Focus on their shared goal.

"What did Jacob tell you?"

He bats his lashes. "Um, nothing much. He was always reluctant about talking about Dr. Emmanuel, so I never had the chance to broach the topic..."

Andrea looks at him contemplatively, pulling her knees together. With a nostalgic smile on her lips, she mutters, "Did you know that Jacob wanted to be a doctor?"

Theodore is taken aback. This is something new to him, a glimpse into Jacob's past he's never known.

"No," he responds softly.