Six

"Jacob..." Theodore hummed, and the name seemed to stir something in Austin's memory.

"Jacob? Is he—?"

Theodore instantly interrupted, "What are you still doing here?"

Austin had heard the derogatory comments from Steve earlier, and Theodore decided that Jacob was better off not knowing about any of that.

Jacob got up from the bench. "Nothing. I was just checking the campus." He glimpsed at Austin. "Who is this?"

"Right. Uh, Austin, this is Jacob. He's... A family friend. Jacob, this is Austin. He's my blockmate."

Austin extended a friendly greeting. "Hello. Nice to meet you."

Jacob acknowledged the introduction with a nod and inquired, "Which block are you in?"

Austin responded enthusiastically, "We're in D. How about you?"

Jacob perfectly concealed his amusement with a crisp nod. "Same here."

Theodore felt uncertain about what to say, managing only an unenthusiastic, "Oh."

As Austin prepared to leave, he cheerfully stated, "Cool! Well, I'll be heading out now. I have to take transit. See you at dinner, Theodore. Bye, Jacob."

He merrily waved his hand before crossing the road.

"Is his last name Diaz?"

Surprised, Theodore asked, "Yes. How did you know?"

Jacob folded his arms against his chest. "So it's really you two."

"Huh?"

"Are you joining Omicron Delta Phi?"

Theodore jerked his head back. "How did you know?"

"You shouldn't. It's a waste of time," he reacted, voice sharp. "They're just a bunch of assholes. Especially Steve and his sidekick."

Theodore lowered his head, Steve's words repeating in his head. He couldn't deny that he didn't like Steve, but there were reasons he was considering joining despite the drawbacks.

"It's not like I'll be an active member."

Jacob clenched his teeth in frustration. "Then what's the point? You'll be their lackey in your freshman year. And you're going to get beaten up really bad, Theo. Is it worth it?"

Right. The million dollar question. Theodore felt a warm flush in his cheeks as Jacob uttered his name, a sensation he couldn't quite place.

"Why are you so obsessed with making connections? Your parents are lawyers. It won't be hard for you after graduating and passing the bar."

His muscles stiffened. "I can handle myself, Jacob. Thanks for the warning."

"Theo—"

Theodore didn't wait for Jacob to reply and hurriedly walked past him. Did he wait for Theodore only to stop him? They weren't friends. So why?

In the parking lot, Theodore unlocked his car and tossed his bag into the backseat. As he fastened his seatbelt, his phone chimed with a message from Stella: "Theo, are you done? I'm in Greenbelt!"

He exhaled, releasing the tension that had built up during the encounter with Jacob, replied with a simple "Ok" to Stella, and then drove away from the university.

******

Jacob jolts awake at 7:30 in the morning, greeted by the gentle intrusion of sunlight piercing through the black curtains. He stretches his arms wide, yawning, and turns to glance at Theodore, who is still sound asleep on the couch, unmoving.