Chapter 23 - Caught Up

A/N: Back to my terrible skills of writing action 😭 Also I've decided I will be going back and adding/editing chapters to have more romance in them. I don't know about you guys but to me it's feeling a little lacking, so keep an eye out! I will let you know any changes I make as I update!

---

Sprinting out of the mansion faster than anyone could catch her, y/n frantically attempted to make up a plan based on the info she had learned. Still delirious, she had no idea what was the dream, this attempt at a rescue or the cruel nightmare she seemed to have woken up from. She didn't even know if the information she had dug up in her dream state was able to be applied to now. But if it was, then she would be facing an upper moon...She was barely able to beat a lower moon and when she did it was purely luck that the demon was distracted and that she survived. Stopping from the mansion far enough away that she couldn't get caught, she huffed for a moment as she pushed her dizzy mind for a plan. The pain of the burns on her body annoying her as they attempted to take her mind off of what she was doing, but that pain would fail in comparison to the pain she felt during her nightmare. Y/N would happily suffer if it meant she could at least attempt to save the flame hashira rather than sitting around doing nothing.

So what was the plan. Obviously in her current state she would stand no chance. She wasn't a confirmed Hashira yet so she had no command over anyone and she had no idea where her sword was. This was taking too long. Thinking back to the dream...She remembered returning to the Rengoku Estate and her sword was in Kyojuro's room. Rengoku Estate. What else could she do with that information. Y/N moved back into a sprint as she went in the direction of that home, refusing to acknowledge the screaming pain. That was when she remembered something...In her dream the former flame hashira had a change of heart, however that was after the death...Could she speed up that process and motivate him to help? It was a long shot, but it might just work.

"Oh, y/n! What are you doing here? Shouldn't you still be healing?" While Senjuro was happy to see her, having her barge in during the middle of the night and run around the house concerned him. "What's wrong?"

Y/N didn't dare to take time to answer, grabbing her sword and marching over to the room of the eldest Rengoku. Of course she didn't mean to be ignorant of him, but she didn't even allow herself time to change out of her medical gown. Luckily enough the old man was still alive, stunned into an angered shock as he watched her storm in.

"Kyojuro is in grave danger, you need to save him." It wasn't a question. There was no time for questions.

"Pah, so what? He was never skilled enough, it's no skin off my back if he fails a mission. It's luck that he survived this long." Scoffed Shinjuro, taking a harsh gulp of his sake.

"Y/N, what are you doing!" Senjuro yelled out, horrified as the woman stepped forward and smacked the bottle out of his father's hand. It was quiet for a moment as Shinjuro's eyes watched the bottle roll away.

"Your son is a legendary demon slayer, and if you do not help him now he will die and you will regret it for the rest of your life." Y/N warned. She honestly had no clue what to say, of anything that could motivate this man.

"If he is so legendary how come he is about to die, huh?" Shinjuro muttered, rolling his eyes as he rose to his feet. "I need a drink."

"No, no more drinks..." Y/N snapped as she stood in front of him. In any other situation she would have been terrified, but right now there was no time for fear...There was barely enough time for this conversation. But he wasn't budging. "Please, Shinjuro, save your son..." It felt hopeless as y/n's voice softened, looking up at him with watering e/c orbs. For a moment she got through as Shinjuro's eyes softened. An inner battle appeared within his mind as those weak words forced him into happy memories he had long since forgotten, memories of his family all together. The days both his sons were born, the day he gave his eldest son his first training sword, the days were Kyojuro would tell him of the great achievements of becoming a slayer and becoming a Hashira. Y/N could only guess what was going on in the man's head as she waited for his response, Senjuro cowered in the shadows as he listened with fearful wide eyes.