Chapter 18

Preparations were made to welcome Prince Enrarei in a manner befitting his station. The palace guards stood at attention, and the grand halls were adorned with elegant elven decor. Princess Lily, aware of the diplomatic significance of this meeting, donned regal attire that reflected both grace and authority.

I was still grappling with the recent encounters at the border and the unexpected sight of Lily with the enemy elven prince, couldn't help but feel a knot of unease tighten in my stomach. The impending meeting between Lily and Prince Enrarei added another layer of complexity to an already intricate web of political intrigue.

As the hour approached, the palace gates opened to welcome the elven Prince and his entourage. The rival Prince, tall and regal with an air of confidence, entered the palace accompanied by a sense of formality that echoed through the halls.

Princess Lily greeted Prince Enrarei with a poised demeanor, her expressions carefully measured. The two rulers engaged in the intricate dance of diplomatic niceties, discussing matters of alliances, trade, and the delicate balance of power within the elven realms.

I found myself drawn back to the training grounds of the palace. The clashing of blades and the rhythmic footsteps of warriors filled the air, resonating with the disciplined harmony that defined elven combat training. Damion, a seasoned warrior and trainer, awaited my return.

I approached the training area, my focus shifting from palace duties to honing my skills. The familiar routine felt grounding, offering a respite from the complexities of recent events. Damion greeted me with a nod, recognizing the determination in my eyes.

Training sessions with Damion were intense and demanding, pushing me to the limits of my abilities. As I engaged in drills and sparring, the echoes of clashing blades reverberated through the training grounds. Damion's guidance was invaluable as ever.

Amidst the rigorous training, I caught glimpses of Princess Lily in the palace corridors. The air remained charged with unspoken tensions.

One day, as I was immersing myself in a training session, the atmosphere shifted. The rival elven king's guards, aware of my reputation as a formidable warrior, approached the training grounds with a brash confidence.

Led by an imposing figure, we exchanged challenging glares. The training grounds, usually a space for disciplined practice, now became the arena for a subtle power struggle between elven factions.

The rival guards, eager to prove their prowess, attempted to goad me with their taunting.

Despite my efforts to avoid physical conflict, the rival guards pressed on with relentless determination. Their strikes became more forceful. The rival guards closed in, delivering a series of powerful blows.

I allowed myself to be battered by the relentless assault of the elven guards. Every strike landed with a painful precision, echoing the turmoil within me. How could this happen?

On the cold ground, bruised and battered, my spirit waned. The once proud warrior, known for her strength and resilience, now lay defeated, seemingly accepting the blows as a form of self-punishment. In the depth of my despair, I questioned my worthiness and succumbed to the relentless assault, almost as if the physical pain offered a tangible outlet for the emotional turmoil within. I could have fought back, I just chose not to. I never asked for this life.