Chapter 82- Prisoners

As we walk deeper through the halls of the stronghold, I'm surprised as I see more and more people scattered throughout, worried by the calamitous events that are unfolding outside. I hadn't realized what scale Gaia's conversion had reached, but it seems far greater than we had estimated.

"Thank you for taking me to my friends," I say as we make our way down a narrow stairwell.

"You had two concerns, this is the least I can do." he states "Although, you should prepare yourself. I can't make any promises about what condition they may be in." he sighs.

"Understood." I agree as we enter a dark area that reminds me of Roxie's Sanctum. Research materials are strewn about, potions and jars of different things line the shelves, and different tools are mounted to the walls. Unbothered, we continue to the back, where we find what we're looking for. Desire is chained to the floor with her hands behind her back and a collar on her neck, holding her close to the wall. Kai's hands are encased in metal above his head, and his forehead has been burned, breaking the hex on his forehead.

"Dez?" I ask calmly as we begin to approach them. Desire raises her head and locks eyes with me in shock as Lucius and enter.

"Tessa?" she asks, confused as she looks at Lucius, then back at me, studying my unharmed appearance "What the hell is this?"

"Lucius, what the fuck is going on?" Kai grunts as he tries to sit up, tugging on his chains "I swear, if you hurt her again-"

"Don't worry about me," I say reassuringly "What happened to you yesterday? One second you were behind me and the next you were gone."

"We got jumped and drugged," Desire explains angrily "Turns out they've got minions working with them now."

"I've noticed." I sigh, rolling my head to the side to look at Lucius "Are you going to stay here the whole time, or do you think I'm going to say something undesirable?" I ask curiously.

"Fine," he agrees hesitantly, "Don't make me regret it, sweetheart."

"I won't," I say respectfully, watching him go "I'm glad to see that you're both still alive," I say warmly.

"I don't understand, why aren't you locked up too?" Desire asks worriedly "And why does it seem like he trusts you now?"

"It's complicated. But I-" I suddenly can't find the words. Confused, I look down at the ground, then back at them.

"You can't tell us, can you?" Kai asks curiously "Did Lucius do something to you?" he asks, and as I try to answer, I feel flustered. I take a deep breath, realizing that I can't even manage to nod.

"I don't get it, what is this?" Desire asks nervously.

"He made her drink his blood," Kai explains agitatedly "A long time ago, he realized that the essence of his blood had healing properties. He assumed that in a greater amount, it would have a stronger effect, but what happened as a result was far more disturbing."

"Get to the point," Desire demands irritably.

"He can use it as a way to alter someone's mental state, make them feel at ease and go along with whatever he wants, unable to disobey his wishes." he explains, looking desperately at me "Even he thought of this as going too far, so I don't understand why he decided to now," Kai asks.

"Protection." I answer calmly, surprised by my ability to speak as I take a seat on the floor across from them "At least that seems to be the reason. He hasn't lied to me once, so I believe that he truly thinks this was the way to do it."

"Protecting you by making you submit to his will?" Desire asks, disgusted "That's just twisted. After what you showed me before, I didn't think he could get any worse, but my god was I wrong."

"All this just because of your blood?" Kai asks, confused.

"Well, no," I state blankly, remembering the kiss. "But that actually brings me to another question; your blood isn't black, is it?"

"That's actually a good point." Desire states, looking at Kai's wounded forehead "No, it looks red. That's so weird."

"Why the hell would it be black?" he asks uncomfortably. Casually, I bite the tip of my finger, squeezing out a drop.

"When Shade and I merged, aside from my hair and tattoos showing up, my blood turned black out of nowhere," I explain, smearing it on the back of my hand.

"That's not like anything I've ever seen. Are you saying this has something to do with what Gael did to you?" Kai asks inquisitively.

"Wait, Shade?" Desire interrupts "I thought you said your other half didn't have a name?"

"She did, we just never knew it." I sigh "Lucius told me that was what Gael intended to name his daughter."

"Can we go back to the ink-blood for a minute?" Kai asks, rattling his chains "Is this why Lucius has such an interest in yours?"

"Probably," I state, glancing back at the door "There's another reason, but I can't seem to say it."

"Don't bother," Desire sighs, resting her back against the wall "I think I have a pretty good idea."

"All of this aside, how the hell are we going to get out of this mess?" Kai asks exhaustedly "They aren't going to keep us locked up forever, and we need to find a way out before they decide what they want to do with us."

"Agreed." Desire states, looking at me desperately.

"I'm sorry," I sigh, suddenly feeling tears come to my eyes "I can't help you."

"It's not your fault," Kai sighs sympathetically "You need to find your own way out of this nightmare," he explains.

"How? She can't even act on her own will anymore." Desire says defeatedly.

"It's not permanent." Kai states hopefully "Tessa, if you can manage to avoid drinking it again, you might be able to get control of your mind back once it wears off." I raise my eyebrows at the thought, unable to speak.

"How long will that take?" Desire asks nervously.

"I'm not sure, but at least another day." he sighs "Stay strong until then, okay?" he asks, and I nod as I stand up.

"Desire," I say, trying to find some way to convey my thoughts "Everything you've gone through lately must be bringing you to your melting point," I say, widening my eyes as I glance at her shackled hands "I'm sure you can handle a one more burn," I explain cryptically as I turn for the door. I feel... something as I walk back out, making my way to the stairs. I hope that we can find a way out together, but things seem bleak.

When I make it to the top of the stairs, I'm surprised that Lucius isn't waiting for me. Instinctively, my feet begin walking towards his room. I know that I'm trapped, I know that I'm being forced into some disturbing form of mental submission, and all I can do is walk through these halls unbothered by everything that surrounds me. Outside, my family may still very well be fighting for their lives, for all I know, some of them may already be dead. But as much as I want to care, only a small part in the back of my mind does. The longer I walk on my own, the longer I have to think, and one thought seems to stand above all else; I desperately need my emotions back.