2. The journey begins: Into the haunted palace

Next day...
Early in the morning...
Freen's bag was packed. She took her bible, wore all yellow knots on her wrist, took her bracelet which had Jesus Christ. She believed this could help her with the various spirits in the palace. She took everything and went out to find a black SUV waiting for her. She immediately got in, feeling calm. She reminded to herself to stay as calm as possible around that tiny, spoiled brat.

The driver drove off and Freen took fresh breathe outside the window enhancing the beauty of the city for one last time because she don't know how long it would take for her to come back from this mission.

Well the Palace was top of the hill. Very far from the city. They had to travel for 12hrs to reach there. And they even had to walk 5km inside the forest. God! it was so exhausting. They soon reached Becky's home.

Becky on the other hand was all ready. Her mom was being so clingy to her since last night because her daughter was leaving for who knows how long. So she slept with her daughter gave her the warmth and now she's still hugging her not letting her go inside the car. Freen who looked the scene just smiled. Freen never had her parents. She lost them when she was a just a child.

Seeing Becky's mom made Freen feel like wanting to be a member of Armstrong Family. She looked at the boy who looked exactly like Becky but a little older than her. Freen thought she could marry him and... she waved off her thoughts when she saw Becky's mom talking to her.

Becky's mom said "Miss. Sarocha.."

Freen said "Aunty you can call me Freen."

Anne said "Well Freen please take care of my daughter. She's still a little kid.."

Becky said "Mom I'm not a little kid anymore."

Anne ignored her daughter and said "Just keep her safe Freen. Can you promise me that..?"

Freen nodded and promised Becky's mom to bring her safe. And finally Becky got inside the car. The car left. It was so awkward in the car. None of them dared to talk. Freen was looking out while keeping an eye on Becky. Slowly Becky closed her eye and drifted into sleep. Her head landed on Freen shoulder.

Freen was confused. Did she have to let her sleep of wave her off. Finally fighting with her own self she let Becky sleep on her. And unknowingly Freen fell asleep too.

Soon Becky woke up. She felt a heavy thing on her head. And she realised she was sleeping on the person she hates the most. Well she couldn't help and waited for Freen to get up. But Because of her moments Freen got up. Becky immediately moved away, avoiding the eye contact with Freen.

Freen said "It's ok you're mom said me to take care of...."

Becky said "No need I'm not a kid."

Freen giggled and said "You are a kid."

Becky ignored her and looked out of the window. Freen asked the driver how long it would take..? And Driver said they will reach in an hour. It was already dark outside. Very dark...

Soon the car stopped in middle of the forest hill. Freen said "Is it here..?"

Driver said "You have to walk there ma'am I'll send the luggage tomorrow early in the morning."

Freen nodded, her expression determined, and Becky followed suit, her steps hesitant but resolute. Gripping their torch lights tightly, they ventured into the dense forest, where tall trees towered overhead like silent sentinels. The darkness enveloped them, broken only by the feeble beams of their flashlights.

A chill wind swept through the trees, sending a shiver down Freen and Becky's spines, despite their efforts to stay warm. The air was thick with the musty scent of damp earth and the tang of pine needles, carried on the breeze. The forest seemed alive with the eerie calls of nocturnal creatures, their howls echoing through the night.

Each step they took seemed to amplify the sound of their own footfalls, the crunch of leaves and twigs beneath their boots reverberating through the silent woods

Each step they took seemed to amplify the sound of their own footfalls, the crunch of leaves and twigs beneath their boots reverberating through the silent woods. The ground was uneven and treacherous, causing them to stumble occasionally, but they pressed on, driven by a sense of purpose and determination.

Suddenly Becky's leg stomped a big thorn. Freen looked at her worried. She immediately bent and got the thorn out of her foot.

Tears welled up in Becky's eyes as she cried out in pain. She couldn't walk anymore. Freen sighed and took Becky on her back. Becky said "No let me walk I..."

Before she could protest she found herself safely on Freen's back. Becky smiled unknowingly. But why she smiled even she didn't know. They reached the palace soon. Despite being exhausted from carrying Becky, Freen didn't complain, knowing she had chosen to do so willingly. Becky got down from Freen's back. Freen stretched her back and looked around. They were now on the entrance of the palace.

.............