XXI. Mother's Love

SCARLETT JUMPS AS SHE LOOKS AT LYRA.

Lyra was shaking, almost fully out of control, but the anger was only a deflect. No, she was utterly heartbroken

"Lyra," Carlisle tries to walk over to her cautiously.

Lyra looks at him swiftly, "I could-"

"Do nothing, absolutely nothing," Edward sped in and pulled her to the side.

"Edweirdo, I swear-"

"Demoted to Edweirdo again?" Edward smirks. 

Lyra rolls her eyes obviously a bit calmed down.

"You're... You're dying?" Lyra finally questioned again, "and you knew?" She asked Carlisle, "and wait," she punches Edward's arm, "ow- you jerkwad knew too!"

"It was Scarlett's choice," Carlisle covers for the Elder.

Scarlett stood up with Carlisle's help, "I am... It's a curse on all Elders, only some get fully affected, it kills you by showing as tumors to humans but magical folk can sense it being different, I could tell all of you were getting off feelings about this... It was a matter of time."

"Why is it fully affecting you?" Lyra asked stepping up.

"That's a good question," Xavier points out as he walks into the room, "don't forget, vampires ears over here," he points at them, "also Jasper should be right behind-" Jasper sped in next to Lyra, "there he is."

Jasper looks around, "what's going on?"

Lyra shook her head, "Scarlett is dying."

"I don't buy it," Xavier denies.

"It's true," Carlisle sighs, "I'm the one who found the tumor."

"Ly, you can feel the sickness if you try," Scarlett told her.

Lyra looks at Jasper before nodding, she goes over and feels her hand over Scarlett's veins, she felt it... In her blood, in her body, getting worse by the minute.

"How long have you known?" Lyra asked.

Scarlett looks over at Carlisle and sighs, "For a few months-"

"Months?!" Lyra asked stepping back.

Xavier's eyes widen, "what the fuck, Scarlett?!"

"Xavier, manners!" Esme reminded him as she came downstairs hearing the yelling.

"I am sorry Esme," Xavier shook his head, "is there a cure?"

"No."

"Have you told Ariana or Niko?" Lyra asked.

Scarlett shook her head, "only Carlisle and Esme... They've been making sure I stay as strong as I can."

"Wait, wait, wait," Xavier shook his head, "can't we turn you?"

"That's a possibility," Lyra nods, "Carlisle-"

"I've made my decision," Scarlett cups her hands, "I'm at peace with my end."

ARIANA, ALICE, AND JESSIE ALL WAIT FOR HALF A DAY before his guest comes.

"Are you sure I can't get you two anything?" Jessie asked, "a soda, a beer, a blood bag?" They both look at him, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding, you're with Carlisle, so you prefer bunny blood, right?"

"Something like that," Alice mutters.

Jessie nods, "that's cool... Do you two want to smoke a hookah?"