Chapter 2: Friendly Faces

The main hallway in the debutante's wing was crowded with giddy girls as Anne navigated us through it. I passed Ella's old room, sounds of laughter coming from within, as Anne led me towards the end of the hallway.

"We've made sure you have the best room, but it will be a little smaller than the rest since you're one of the newer debutantes. Unfortunately only the heritage debutantes have permission to invite ladies in waiting, but we've arranged for you to have your own pair of maids," she said, pushing open the last door at the end of the hallway. We walked into a room that was hardly small - it was roughly the same size as Ella's suite, only with one bedroom instead of two.

A pair of maids were bustling around the bedroom, unloading the multitude of trunks I'd arrived with. Upon recognizing one of them, I gave a yelp of glee and dashed over to hug her.

"Oh now, we'd best not go hugging the help!" Brenna laughed. She'd been my ladies' maid during our trip to Paris and she had a surprisingly quick wit and boundless patience for my antics. She was old enough to be wise but young enough to be spry, with streaks of grey at her temples and soft brown eyes.

"Brenna is to be your personal ladies' maid for the Season," Anne said, as both Brenna and the other maid dipped curtseys, "While Elspeth is to help her,"

"Lovely to meet you Elspeth," I said, smiling at the timid younger woman. She offered me a small smile as she curtseyed again, unable to meet my gaze. Taking in the shy way she kept looking to Brenna for guidance, I decided that I'd befriend her no matter how long it took.

A knock at the door interrupted whatever Anne had to say next and Elspeth hurried over to answer it so the princess wouldn't have to.

"I see I'm not so lucky as to catch the new debutante alone," Prince Thomas said, shooting me a rakish grin as he sauntered in. Anne moved to plant herself in front of him, arms crossed.

"What do you want?" she demanded, "Because Libby needs to get ready for dinner,"

"Then I'll be quick about it," he said, dodging around his sister to stand before me, "I was hoping you'd sit with me at the opera in a few nights' time?"

"She most certainly will not!" Anne answered for me, "She's going with Andrew and you know it, Thomas!"

"Well here's my invitation," Thomas said, handing me a red card with gold calligraphy, "I can't see myself inviting any other debutante, so I'll leave the decision up to you,"

I accepted it hesitantly as Anne pushed her grinning brother towards the door.

"Get out, troublemaker!" Anne said, chasing him out of the room.

"Think on it, Libby. We'd have the most wonderful time!" he called over his shoulder before Anne slammed the door.

"You'd best watch yourself around him," she said, frowning, "Thomas always wants what isn't his to have,"

"Thank you for the warning," I said, toying with the invitation. Anne was studying me.

"I mean it," she said, taking the invitation from me to look down at it with a frown, "He should have given it to Addie,"

My eyes snapped to hers at the mention of the blonde.

"Adelaide?" I asked. Anne nodded, still frowning.

"She's clearly mother's favourite, especially as she's the daughter of her closest friend," Anne said, chewing her lip, "Which is why Thomas should have invited her. She'd keep him in line just like she used to when we were children,"

I wordlessly processed that information, my unease about Adelaide Winters heightening.

"I'd best leave you to begin getting ready for dinner," Anne said finally, placing Thomas' invitation on a side table next to the door, "Try not to get into too much trouble until I see you again. You are here by my invitation after all,"