Chapter 42: The Return

The days passed as I wallowed in my room, forcing myself to trust Thomas. Xavier appeared suddenly one afternoon, sauntering in as if he'd come calling on a social visit. I forced myself to behave while my pleased parents dragged me out of my prison cell of a room and served tea, prattling on about my engagement to Dorian. When Xavier nodded along with them, agreeing that it was a fortuitous match indeed, I set my teacup down and fled back to my room. The urge to run away had never been as strong as it was as I listened to Xavier politely agree with my parents about my fate with Dorian, Thomas' urgent whisper repeating in my head like a mantra against any rash action.

My brother found me some time later, only for me to round on him in fury as he closed the bedroom door behind him.

"You have some nerve!" I snapped, only for him to hold a finger to his lips, nodding his head towards the bedroom door.

"I think it a very good match," he said, his voice pleasant despite how emphatically he was shaking his head. I cocked my head warily, only for him to reach into his jacket and pull out a letter, holding a finger to his lips again.

"I suppose he'll grow on me," I managed flatly, earning an encouraging nod.

"He'll make a fine husband, I'm sure," he continued, slashing his hand back and forth across his throat to show that he thought the complete opposite.

"Yes," was all I managed, my eyes on the letter now that I'd figured out Xavier's little game.

"I must say that I'm relieved you've returned from the palace," he said, handing over the folded paper and gesturing for me to read it while he continued, "I never believed you were truly happy there. It must be such a relief to have escaped those four walls and all the fluttering idiots inside them."

I hastily unfolded the letter, my fingers shaking with anticipation, only for my heart to fall when it wasn't Andrew's handwriting.

Stay at your parents' home. I will come for you before the announcement, but you must be ready to leave at a moment's notice. I've come to an arrangement with the bishop such that no priest in the city will wed you without the palace's consent, but Dorian has the means to steal you away to some church in another diocese if he discovers my ruse. Whatever happens, don't run. The Fletchers have eyes everywhere and he's probably counting on you attempting to escape once again. You are safe as long as you are with your parents, despite their delusions about the Fletchers. Keep your wits about you and stay where I can find you.

-T

"...fascinating, really. I'm not at all remiss that I'm here and not at Oxford. I was hoping that you'd come visit at some point, perhaps with mother and father," Xavier said, taking the letter back once I'd finished reading it.

"Is that quite clear?" he asked, looking pointedly at the letter.

"Yes," I said, my jittery nerves somewhat calmed by the reassurance that Thomas had a plan.

"Excellent," Xavier said, breathing a brief sigh of relief, "Georgina says hello as well, she quite misses you. Perhaps she can call on you soon."

"I'd like that," I said, feeling a pang of loneliness at the thought of Georgina's easy smile, "You should come back soon as well."

"Unfortunately I'm terribly busy with my studies," Xavier said, his sadness evident on his face even as he kept his voice light and airy for the benefit of whoever was listening in on us. As if he couldn't stand the act for another moment longer, he finally pulled me in for a hug.

"We'll get you out of here, just trust us," he whispered into my hair, speaking louder again as he pulled away, "It's wonderful to see you looking so well."