Chapter 11: A Seamstress and a Stable-master

When breakfast was served and Brenna pulled open the curtains, I awoke from a fitful sleep. In my dream, the ballroom had been filled with toothy grins and cackling laughter as dozens of Dulcianas flooded the room and all the other debutantes had disappeared. It took me a few moments to realize that it had all been a dream, but I was still unsettled as I took my seat at the breakfast table.

"Well isn't this quite opulent?"

The voice from the service door nearly caused me to spill my tea all over myself in my haste to set it down as Audra emerged, lugging a huge basket with her. I flew from the table, knocking over my chair as I ran to hug her. She laughed as she caught me, dropping her basket.

"Hugging the help, are we? I daresay that's not quite proper for a debutante," Audra laughed, releasing me to look around my suite once more.

"Did you really think I'd be a proper debutante?" I asked, "I'm so happy to see you!"

"Of course I didn't think you'd be a proper debutante, but one can only hope," she grinned, "And as much as I missed you as well, this isn't a social visit today. Apparently I have some work to be done for you."

"Work?" I asked, as she riffled through her basket to pull out a ream of plain brown fabric.

"Lady Marks-Whelan hasn't commissioned any additional dresses," Brenna said from where she'd righted my tipped over chair. Audra shot me a look as she tipped her head towards the window.

The stables...

"Oh my goodness, I'd completely forgotten!" I said, clapping a hand dramatically to my forehead, "I'd ordered a riding costume!"

"You have a riding costume," Brenna said, frowning.

"I do, but I have just the one," I said, racking my brain for the schedule of events, "I couldn't bear to be seen in the same outfit twice and the second riding outing is in the coming weeks!"

Brenna pursed her lips, but there was nothing she could say short of accusing me of lying. I hated deceiving her like this, but she'd never condone me sneaking around to inspect stables or meet with princes.

"I've brought some samples of possible fabrics," Audra continued, shooting me a wink when Brenna had turned her back, "But if none of them are to your liking, perhaps you could accompany back to my workshop and I could show you some more?"

"Of course," I said, as she pulled more dull brown samples from her bag. I had to keep myself from laughing at how blatantly horrible her suggestions were.

"Is there anything else? Perhaps more colourful?" I asked eventually, when I'd made a show of poring over the three similar brown fabrics.

"Oh of course, my lady," Audra said, "But they're all much larger bolts. Would you have a few spare moments to come down with me?"

"She'll have to come later," Brenna said, still watching the pair of us with suspicion, "She is to attend the queen's salon today."

"There's plenty of time before then!" I protested, "Let's just tuck my hair into a bun and I'll run down to see the fabrics before it's too late to order something."

I could tell by the purse of Brenna's lips as she disappeared into the closet that she didn't believe me, but once again, there was nothing she could say to keep me here.

Elspeth said nothing as I sat at the vanity while Audra packed up her hideous fabric samples. The younger maid tied my hair back into a bun, weaving a braid around the base if only to add some interest to the plain hairstyle. Brenna emerged with a day dress, still pursing her lips as she helped me into it.