Chapter 3: Dinner Conversations

I'd frozen in my tracks when James rose and pulled my chair out for me, certain that this was some trick. Adelaide was smiling politely up at me, once again not a hint of anything but kindness in her face.

"Good evening, Libby," James said. His smile wasn't a broad one, but it was far better than the scowl I'd grown accustomed to seeing on his face.

"How lovely that we're sitting together again," Adelaide smiled as I sat. I warily verified that James wasn't about to whip my chair out from beneath me, a prank that Xavier had loved to pull on my oldest brother Edward . As much as James was a consummate gentleman who was above such pastimes, I couldn't shake my feeling of unease at sharing a table with him. After all that had happened between us last Season, I was still convinced he would attempt to sabotage me somehow.

When James had learned that the prince was quite taken with me, he'd done everything in his power to keep the two of us apart. In his mind, since I was a lady-in-waiting (and not a terribly high born one at that), I was completely unsuitable for his prince. Being Prince Andrew's best friend and closest adviser, James had separated us quite effectively until Andrew had managed to sneak me an invitation to the masquerade ball. The last time I'd spoken to James, he'd been warning me that he had figured out who I was despite the impeccable disguise Andrew had arranged so I could attend the masquerade.

As I settled into my seat, I forced a smile to thank James for assisting me. I was alone at my end of the table, two empty seats to either side of me. James resumed his place next to Adelaide, a single chair separating me from the other debutante and two between myself and James.

"Indeed," I replied to Adelaide, hoping the grimace on my face could pass for a smile.

"How was your trip?" James asked. I stared across at him, blinking. Were we suddenly to be civil to one another again?

"It was lovely, thank you," I replied, managing to keep my tone polite despite my clenched jaw. Adelaide was looking between the pair of us, politely flustered.

"My my, do I sense some tension at the table?" she asked, looking to James for an explanation. James sighed, shaking his head.

"I believe I owe Libby an apology," he said, meeting my gaze. I was tempted to cross my arms and look away, but the coronets blew the royal fanfare and my response was cut off as we all rose from our chairs.

The doors leading to the old palace at the end of the dining hall opened and the king and queen walked in, followed by all three of the royal siblings. When I realized that our table hadn't yet been filled, I felt my stomach soar as Anne, Thomas, and Andrew made their way towards us while their parents crossed to a head table filled with older courtiers and councillors.

"Well isn't this a lovely table for six," Anne said, as Andrew pulled her chair out for her. Thomas plunked himself into the seat on my right, shooting me a wink as he sat. But I was too busy watching Andrew come around the table, the air thick between us as he took the seat on my other side. When he reached beneath his chair to scoot it in, his hand brushed my elbow, lingering there for a moment. He was nodding in greeting to James, a grin tugging at his face as my breath caught in my throat from his touch.

"I quite agree," Adelaide smiled, her eyes on Andrew. He'd taken the seat between the two of us debutantes, giving Adelaide a polite smile in greeting.

"Much better than being stuck at some stuffy head table with mummy and dad and these two," Thomas said, nodding at his siblings before leaning over towards me, "But I think I'm most pleased that I'm seated next to you,"

I had to remind myself to breathe. Between Andrew's proximity and the younger prince leaning over to flirt with me, I could hardly think straight. I was still staring at James, whose eyes were flying between me and the princes flanking me.