Chapter 24: Unwelcome Attention

I was staring off over Dorian's shoulder, my eyes glazed until I realized the music had stopped and he still hadn't released me. His voice had melted into a drone I had no interest in listening to, yet he was still prattling on while the rest of the dancers milled around us, seeking new partners.

"Are you quite finished?" I asked, interrupting his monologue as I tried to pull my hands away. When I finally looked up at him in irritation, my insides squirmed at the look he was giving me. It was the same one Boy Bill had given Juniper when he'd said she'd needed to be broken.

"I do believe he is," came a familiar voice from next to me. Dorian barked a laugh.

"As always, your Highness, your timing is impeccable," he said, shooting a glare at Thomas despite the smile on his face as he bowed.

"Anything to rescue a damsel in distress," Thomas said, not a hint of laughter in his blue eyes. I'd never seen them so icy and so remarkably like his mother's.

"All I hope, Libby," Dorian said, finally releasing me and ignoring Thomas, "Is that you keep me in your thoughts if you ever grow tired of your gilded cage."

"So you can throw her in an iron one?" Thomas fired back, seizing my free hand and wheeling me around and away from him.

"You'd be free to see the world instead of the same four walls day after day!" Dorian called after us. Thomas' hand was crushing mine as he dragged us across the dance floor. It was only when I stumbled from his quick pace that he slowed.

"Why the hurry?" I asked, reaching down to adjust the heeled slipper I'd nearly lost in his haste to cross the dance floor.

"Because of all the men here, Dorian Fletcher is the one you should be giving a wide berth, not dancing with!" Thomas snapped, something ferocious in his eyes before he remembered himself, turning away with a frustrated groan, "I'm sorry. I just...he's..."

"He's a boor, Thomas," I said, "I know."

"He's far more than just a boor Libby," the younger prince said, surveying me, "He's dangerous and he's the last person whose attention you want to draw."

"I didn't want his attention! He all but trapped me into a dance!" I protested folding my arms while I cast my eyes about for Andrew. Sure enough, Adelaide was curtseying to him and as if remembering its cue, my stomach growled.

"Watch yourself around Dorian," Thomas said, following my gaze, "And if you don't believe me, ask Adelaide. She can tell you all about him."

"I'd rather not," I said flatly, scowling as I watched her waltz with Andrew, "I'm getting something to eat."

"Is that all the thank you I get for rescuing you?" Thomas asked, easily turning on his heel to catch up with me as I beelined for the buffet table.

"No, you'll get the distinct honour of holding my plate while I fill it," I said, sticking my nose in the air in my best impression of Ashley. Thomas laughed.

"A royal plate-bearer, you really are turning into a great lady of the court," Thomas said, as I shoved the plate into his hands.

"If you mind your manners perhaps I'll even share with you," I said, reaching for some queen cakes and a handful of sugared plums.

"Heaven help the man who comes between you and food," Thomas said as I crammed a shortbread into my mouth while dumping the rest on the plate.

"Indeed," I said through my mouthful. Much to my surprise, he indulged me by following me around the table and obediently holding the plate while I loaded it. I was keenly aware of the looks we were getting, but my growling stomach superseded my concern for the thoughts of others.