Chapter 5: A Reunion

"I am unashamed to admit that it took every ounce of my willpower to keep my hands off of you today," Andrew said, as I sat nestled under his arm on the love seat. When we'd finally caught up on missed kisses from the weeks I'd been away, he'd taken one look at my short-sleeved day dress before sweeping off his dinner jacket and throwing it around my shivering shoulders, ushering me to the spot by the fire. The crackling warmth from the hearth was welcome, especially as all my blood appeared to have rushed out of my extremities and into my heart.

"And yet you were still able to deliver that art jab during afternoon tea," I said, poking him in the ribs. He laughed, crushing me against him to stop my attack.

"You do realize that David's Napoleon painting is the size of the entrance hall, don't you?" he chuckled. I made a face.

"There were no dogs by which I could judge the artist's talent, so I was disinclined to spend much time viewing it," I fired back. Andrew pressed a kiss onto the top of my head.

"I finally feel like I can breathe again," he said, "I haven't been able to tease anyone like this for weeks."

"How lovely for you," I replied, "Here I was thinking it was my irresistible personality you'd missed, not my ability to withstand your torment."

Andrew's free hand tipped my chin up so I would face him instead of staring off into the fire.

"I meant what I said about missing you. It was all I could do to pretend to be interested in anything the others had to say while you were away," he said, running his eyes over my face.

I wanted so badly to say, "Even Adelaide?" but it sounded so petty and jealous in my head that, for once, I was able to hold my tongue.

"Don't you dare run away again," Andrew said when I didn't reply.

"I wouldn't dream of it," I said, my stomach twirling as his eyes dropped to my lips again.

"I'd be forced to hunt you down and lock you up," he continued.

"We wouldn't want that, would we?" I said, leaning closer to him to whisper conspiratorially, "I'll have you know that I'm excellent at hiding."

"It just so happens I'm excellent at seeking," he said, his fingers finding their way to the sapphire necklace around my neck, "I'd have to confiscate this though, it's much too fine for a fugitive."

"I'd never let you, it's my souvenir," I breathed. His green eyes found mine again, crinkling with that special smile as he pulled me towards him. The world vanished save for Andrew and the giddy relief flooding my chest as he kissed me.

"As much as I could kiss you all night," Andrew said, running his thumb along my cheek, "I didn't only ask you here for that."

"A girl can dream," I sighed, leaning back under his arm so we could have a proper conversation. Andrew's lips curved into that smile I loved as he looked down at me.

"I had to make some concessions to secure your spot," he said, "One of them being that my mother has a say in who I ask for the first dance tomorrow at the ball."

"Shall I hazard a guess that I'm not among her choices?" I asked, listening to the rumble of his chest as he chuckled.

"To be fair, she doesn't know you all that well yet," he replied. I looked up at him, eyebrows lifted.

"She knows that I go on secret rides with your sister and return to the palace covered in mud," I offered.

"I'm rather hoping that she's forgotten that incident," he said, his hand absently stroking my hair, "Regardless, I'll have to choose from one of the debutantes she proposes for my first dance tomorrow, but I wanted you to know that if the choice had been left to me, I'd be choosing you."