II. Chapter 7 | Part 1 - Aubree

Despite Gwen's reassurances, Aubree still felt guilty when they walked in the store.

Gwen wouldn't have to bottle up her feelings if Aubree told Dan the truth and ended their relationship. Likewise, Aubree wouldn't have to deal with the guilt of leading Dan on and the contradicting feelings her actions have created over both men in her life.

Still, it had only been a few days since they brought Dan home from the hospital. She couldn't be brash and dump him as if he meant nothing to her after investing so much love, time, and energy into their relationship. She still cared about him. Maybe not in the same way she did before, but she still loved him.

Gwen grabbed a shopping cart, the clanging of metal and squeaking wheels ripped Aubree from her mud-puddle of thoughts and emotions clouding her mind.

Aubree quirked an eyebrow, making the brunette grin.

"I noticed we were running out of food in the apartment. We might as well pick up a few extra things while we're here."

Aubree sighed in an attempt to clear the murkiness from her mind. "In that case, we should have brought the car instead of walking. Come on, let's get the items we need and go."

Gwen shook her head. "I got this. Besides, my muscles are aching for a bit of a workout. The gym in the basement is terrible. Only one functioning treadmill? I'm better off running around the block fifty times."

The corners of Aubree's lips twitched at the exasperation in Gwen's tone. Already, she was starting to sound more like herself. "Then why don't you?"

Gwen threw her head back with a great heave of her lungs. "What do you think I've been doing the past two nights? I already cleaned the apartment. I got nothing! I'm so bored with guard duty, so I took it outside." She shook her head. "Fifty laps is nothing, anyway. It's like twenty-five miles. I can run that in an hour in this body—half that time on four legs."

Aubree blinked to keep herself from gaping at her.

Still prattling away as they walked toward the produce section, Gwen's eyes flitted over the variety of apples. "Although, if I ran that fast, I'd catch attention, so I jogged, pausing between each lap to look more discreet, change direction, walk. I mean, it's night time. Humans don't go out for a jog after dark. It's suspicious."

"Right." Aubree fought against the incredulous tone in her voice as she paused in front of her favorite type of apple and started picking through them and putting a few in a plastic bag.

"I've never been in the city this long, Aubree," Gwen said, lowering her voice as she watched Aubree's hands move from one apple to the next. "And not in my human form this long either. My wolf is longing to come out, to run through the forest, to hunt... She doesn't like being locked up in a cage day in and day out, but I don't want to risk shifting and being caught. I'm too big to pass off as a dog..."

Aubree put the apples in the cart and looked up to meet Gwen's gaze. "Would it help if you took tonight off? Like, could someone else stand watch outside while you left the city and went for a run? Would that, like, refresh you? Recharge your batteries?"

Gwen pursed her lips as another shopper ambled toward them, her eyes scanning over the apples. Aubree noticed and nodded her head toward the bananas. Gwen followed behind her with the cart in silence.

Privacy restored, Gwen whispered, "It would. Gavin would be the only one though. And the way Dan's been acting lately, I'm not sure I want to leave you alone with him."

Aubree glowered at her before turning to the bananas and picking out a small bunch of four. "I can handle him."

When she turned back to face her, Gwen was gritting her teeth and looking to the side. "I know you can. But I still don't like it."