II. Chapter 33 | Part 1 - Aubree

Music: "Hero with a Red Mask" by Rok Nardin

----

Aubree could feel Stone's urgency to get out of here, but also a growing sensation of anger bubbling up under the surface of his skin. She wanted to ask about it but knew better than to say anything that would draw attention to the vampires.

While she and Dan searched for the exit, Dan had explained to her that he had sharper hearing capabilities and sense of smell, but that his sense of smell was largely attuned to blood. More than once she caught him looking at her as if he were in some kind of predatory trance, which he managed to shake off when she called his attention.

Despite his apologies, he still made her edgy, even though she knew she could trust him. He was still Dan... just in another form, sort of.

When Stone and Alistair showed up, she was beyond relieved, until Alistair advanced on Dan.

Vampire or not, she couldn't have any of them hurting Dan. She may not love Dan the same way he loved her, but she still cared about him. Once they got out of there, she would explain everything to them as Dan had told her. He wasn't a threat to them. He was her friend. Surely, they could make an exception for him?

"Hold tight," Stone told her in a low voice before he picked up his speed. "And close your eyes and ears."

What? How could she—

There was a hiss, like the threat of a cat, before a sickening crack of bones and a splattering of blood against the wall behind her. She squeezed her eyes shut and pressed her face into Stone's shoulder, her arms tightening around his neck as something heavy fell to the ground with a thud. A hint of vinegar and copper met her nose before disappearing behind her.

She didn't need any more explanation. Vampires were coming out at them as she bounced along on Stone's back, while he ran to get them all out of there.

Another hiss met her ears, this time ahead of them. Instinctively, she tightened her hold around Stone as his arms released her legs and a split second later she heard another crack, splat, and thump. She held her breath as the toxic fumes flooded over her. Another crack sounded further behind her followed by another thump on the ground.

Stone slowed as he turned a corner but immediately pulled back. An inaudible growl vibrated within him and she felt a ripple of fear through his touch as he paused in his tracks.

Without a word, a rush of air blew past her and she heard grunts of a struggle around the corner.

"Eyes closed," Stone commanded in a whisper to her again.

A screech of agony squeezed her heart before another crack of bones invaded her ears, but the grunts and hisses continued.

"Mistress!" a male voice called out, making Stone's grip tighten around her legs.

Another screech, crack, wet smack against a wall, and thump later, Stone jumped around the corner, ordering her to hold on tight again.

He leaned back on one leg as the other kicked up and Aubree heard the hiss of air as his foot collided with a vampire. A sickening crunch made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, but then they were moving again.

She held her breath as they bounced forward.

A whoosh of cool air flooded over her and then she felt Stone's shoulders moving up and down, and she realized he was climbing.

"Almost there," he said.

Opening her lungs, she gasped at the putrid stench that greeted her. Darkness surrounded her when she opened her eyes. Loud banging fists against a thick wooden surface pounded below.