II. Chapter 10 | Stone - Part 1

Instrumental song: The Piano Guys' cover for "Home" by Phillip Phillips

----

Birdsong roused Stone from his sleep. The delicate scent of vanilla and roses wafted over him and for a moment, he forgot who and where he was. In that moment, time, matter, and space were irrelevant. The essence of existing in its pure, stateless form, and simply being, filled him with the utmost peace.

The steady rhythm of a beating heart thumped gently against him as a warm presence rested on his chest. His eyelids fluttered as morning sunlight filtered through the sheer curtains from the window. He looked down to the mass of shiny golden hair below him as she continued to sleep serenely in his arms. He brushed her soft tresses back from her face so he could see her more clearly. His lips curved up in a smile. How beautiful she looked while she slept. With him. In his arms.

This was where she belonged. With him. And he was never going to give up on her, nor let her go.

Goddess, what had he done to deserve this?

The cawing of a crow interrupted the birdsong outside and snapped his brain awake.

It was morning? How could it be morning?

He reached out through the mind-link to Gwen. [Dammit, Guinevere! You were supposed to wake me up!]

Aubree stirred as he tried to slip from her.

Gwen's voice was quick to answer, albeit sounding a bit sleepy. [You've barely slept in a week. We all agreed not to disturb you. So sorry, for letting you sleep in.]

He scowled at her sarcastic apology as Aubree moaned in her sleep, wrapping her arms more securely around his waist.

While it was true that he'd struggled to not only find time to sleep in the last week but to actually fall asleep when he did give himself time was another battle. Especially the last couple of days when Aubree's emotions had wreaked havoc on her heart. He struggled even in his waking hours to function properly.

[Be that as it may, I am Alpha, and I have a duty to uphold and—]

[Blah-blah-blah,] Gwen interrupted. [All you have to do today is relax. We all agreed that you need a day off to spend time with Aubree. So suck it up.]

He growled lowly, the vibrations causing Aubree to stir more from her sleep.

Gwen sighed. [You're welcome. It's my turn to sleep now, so goodnight.]

Heaving a sigh of defeat, he closed his eyes again and leaned back against the bed's headboard. [Thank you. Goodnight, Schatzi.]

It was too late to relax and go back to sleep. He was wide awake and his restlessness had completely woken Aubree up now. He peered down at her as her head tilted up and her eyelids fluttered open. His agitation melted away as a sleepy smile greeted him.

"Morning."

He traced her eyebrow with his finger and let it trail down along her soft cheek. "Good morning."

"You going somewhere?"

The little furrow in her brows warmed him and he smiled. "No. Not anymore."

Her beautiful hazel eyes closed as she nestled closer to him. "Good, because I don't want you to leave yet."

His smile broadened as he began to play with her hair. "Me too. This is quite the treat."

"Hm?"

He continued to absentmindedly play with her hair. "As the alpha, it's my job to rally the troops and lead the hunt."

He couldn't help but chuckle at the mental image of everyone lined up in army gear while he barked orders in their faces. He shook the thought from his head. "I was supposed to get up at midnight to join the others in the hunt. Instead, they took pity on me and let me sleep. I haven't slept this long and this well in a century."