Chapter 3: Polaroid

"Love is a polaroid
   better in picture 
              but never can fill the void"

"Look Audrey! There's a man doing magic tricks!" Kay grabs me and Bella's hand to go see the man spinning five different colored hula hoops. Kay woke me up at 7 a.m because she was too excited to go back to sleep and I had to remind her the boardwalk doesn't open until 11 a.m. So I made her pancakes and we watched a little tv to pass the time. She has visited it here several times since its literally down the block from us, but she never gets tired of it.

After we watch the man finish, we all decide to go eat some ice cream. Kay goes for strawberry, Bella picks vanilla, and I go for chocolate.

"Can we walk while eating our ice cream? I want to see what games we can play." Kay asks as soon as I pay the cashier. I agree and while we walk around and start talking, the worst thing in the world happens. Okay, thats too dramatic (maybe Aimee is getting to me?). Kay's 2 scoop ice cream falls to the floor and she is not happy.

The thing is, its not her fault. I mean not really. Some guy just ran in front of us out of nowhere and startled her enough that she well, dropped it.

As Kay looks devasted about the loss of her ice cream perfection as she had called it, Bella offers some of hers.

"You can have some of mine..."

Just as Kay is about to say something, the jerk decides to come over.

Okay so he is a hot jerk. I finally look at him and... um... suddenly my brain has malfunctioned. Error. Brain not in service. No! Stop it, he is just a human being. With light brown hair and green eyes who looks great in a white plain t-shirt and jeans....

"Sorry about that, my paper kinda escaped me and I was running to catch it." The stranger explains and puts a piece of paper away in his black backpack.

Kay is unimpressed and just responds "My ice cream...wait is it an important paper? Are you CIA? Are you undercover?" She whispers that last part like a secret. Bella and I lose it and start laughing. Kay has been watching to much television.

"Sorry, I'm not that interesting, but I can get you a new ice cream cone." He laughs

"I think I have to ask my sister Audrey.." she looks at me and then adds loud enough for him to hear "He doesnt look like a murderer, can he get me another cone?"

I look at him and agree, but then again, you never know.

"Whats your name? Im Audrey."

"I'm Nathan but you guys can call me Nate, sorry about the trouble I uh, caused." We all look at the pink strawberry splatter on the cement ground.

He looks sorry so I give him a break. "Its okay, as long as Kay forgives you too. If shes not then I have to, I guess throw the last of my ice cream at you." He gives me a weird look. I hope he knows Im kidding.

"Hey, I'm on my sister's side first." I add.

Kay and Bella are whispering to each other until Bella speaks up and asks Nate how old he is.

"I'm 23, why..."

"Perfect!" Kay shouts "Audrey is 21, maybe you two can be boyfriend and girlfriend. Dont you think she's pretty?" She adds

What is happening? Why has my sister suddemly betrayed me and decided to humiliate me? I'm about to say something to diffuse this um, situation when Nate speaks up.

"She is very pretty." then he winks at me.

Okay my heart needs to calm down. All I can stumble out is
"So, uh, the ice cream..."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apparently Kay and Bella love Nate. After buying both of them ice cream, they invited him to hang out with us. I told them that he was probably busy and he just shrugged and said he had nothing else to do.

So now here I am next to him on a bench watching the two girls play on slides in the kid's playground.

"Thanks for what you did. Other people what have just ignored it and not offer to replace the ice cream."

"No problem. I wouldn't have wanted you to throw something at me." he smirks.

"I was kidding, kinda. Maybe just watch where you're going next time Mr. Detective." I tease.

He suddenly looks around in a panic and turns to me and whispers "shhh.. I don't need anyone to know the case Im working on...." He doesn't continue.

My mouth hangs open "Are you serious? I mean you're joking right?" I eye him curiously. He's got to be joking.

He looks around one more time in a panic then back at me, and he starts howling with laughter "Gotcha!" he yells.

I roll my eyes. "I knew you were faking." I try to defend myself but I end up laughing with him. His laughter is contagious.

Bella and Kay are suddenly in front of us looking at us like we are crazy.

"Can we go ride the ferris wheel?" They then ask in unison.
I tell them yes and the four of us end up on the ride together.

The wait isn't long to get on and once it circles up to the top, the view is amazing. You can see the miles of water and all the people walking below us look like ants. It provides a whole view of Kemah.

After, we decide to go to the arcade. The girls are busy playing pac-man while Nate and I have somehow found ourselves in a war of air hockey just about 3 feet away.

"Ha! Im winning" Nate declares after making a shot.

"The score is only 3-2, you need 7 to win. Calm down. Plus we both know your going to lose in the end."

We keep smack talking and the girls have finally joined us and are acting like cheerleaders on the sidelines. One minute they are on my side then the next they are telling Nate to stay strong.

When we are finally tied 6 to 6, Nate decides to make this intersesting by placing a wager.

"Lets make this interesting..." he starts. "If I win, you have to go on a date with me. If you win you pick what you want..."

I think my heart stops, meanwhile the girls start squealing and whispering something about boyfriend.

I decide to fake some courage I definitely don't have at the moment and agree. I then add "If I win, I get 100 bucks." Hey, why not?

I expect him to say that it's too much money or something but he just looks me in the eyes and says "Game on."

Not surprisingly, the girls are now on his side hoping he wins. Traitors. But I actually don't know if I want to win the game.

We resume playing and it isn't until 10 minutes later that we have a winner.

CHAPTER NOTE: Who do you think won? Who do you want to win?