Chapter 20: Curse

"Screaming out in agony
she gave her life for you"

Nate P.O.V

"Audrey! Stay with me! I love you, please stay." I tell her over and over while holding her in my arms.

"Help! Somebody help me!" I yell hoping someone, anyone is hearing me. I can feel tears rolling down my cheeks.

There's so much blood and she's not responding. She looks so weak and broken like this. I start sobbing and pray that she survives this. I can't live without her.
.........................................................................

The surgical waiting room is empty except for us. By us I mean me, Audrey's mom Grace, Kay, and my parents. Matt and Emma went to go bring some coffee.

I can't believe this is happening. I feel like I'm going to wake up and see Audrey next to me instead of her being in the operating room for emergency surgery. They didn't even let me ride with her in the ambulance because she was in serious critical condition.

"Son, you should take a small nap." My dad tells me interrupting my thoughts. My parents came as soon as I told them about the situation. I felt lost and needed their advice. They even helped get the money together so the F.B.I could set up a trap and catch the kidnappers. My sister Lea stayed behind because she's taking college classes. She called and asked how I was doing and that I should have faith that Audrey will get through this.

I look around and see Kay asleep in her mom's arms. My mom had been praying and is now reading a book. I haven't been able to do anything but stare at the wall across from me.

"I can't. Even if I wanted too." I reply.

"Okay. I understand."

I turn my head and look straight ahead again. The past twenty four hours play on repeat in my mind.

I remember going to her work so we could eat lunch together and not finding her there. I had called her phone several times with no answer. Then the heart stopping ransom text message I recieved that included a picture of her laying down tied up. I wanted to call the police but it had said that she would be killed if they got involved. Instead I called my parents. Later when I had found out they had contacted the cops I was furious. But by that point it was too late. The cops had assured me that it was best that they had got involved incase the kidnappers didn't keep their word and return Audrey.

Thats when they created a plan. From the store cameras they saw that two men were working together. They couldn't trace the phones so they began looking at abadoned places where they could easily hide someone. When they were informed of a car parked at an empty warehouse they were sure thats where Audrey was being held. No one had used that property in years.

So while I dropped off the money and made the call, officers went to the property to rescue her.

When I found out that they had found her I was so relieved and made my way to the location. But it wasn't over. In a last effort to escape, the man at the warehouse had decided to try and shoot his way out. Audrey had pushed me out of the way and was shot. She saved me. If I could, I would trade places with her in an instant.

The only good news is that he was killed by the other officers. If not I would have.
The other one was arrested while picking up the money and is in jail right now.

"Excuse me, are all of you here for Audrey?" A doctor in scrubs and a surgical cap enters the waiting room.

"Yes, how is she?" I quickly ask. Grace and Kay wake up and ask the same question.

"She's still in surgery. There wasn't an exit wound for the bullet so they are trying to find and remove it. So far it doesn't seem that it hit any major organs."

"So is she going to be okay?" Grace asks, worry etched on her face.

He looks down before looking at us and answering. "She lost alot of blood. We are giving her blood transfusions. We are trying our best. I'll come back and tell you if there's anymore news." He turns and leaves.

I have never felt so useless like I do right now. There's nothing I can do to help her. I get up and leave the waiting room.

"Nate honey, where are you going?" I hear my mom call out. I just ignore her and keep walking.

I make it outside the front entrance of the hospital. I start screaming and just break down. I sit at the curb and just fucking lose it. "She has to survive." I repeat over and over. Maybe if I say it enough times, it will happen. If she doesn't make it, it will kill me.

Chapter Note: Double update today. The next chapter takes place on the same day as this chapter. Please support by commenting and voting.
P.s Truce by twenty one pilots is a great song for this chapter