Chapter 8: Smoke + Mirrors

"I want to believe
but all that I know
is smoke and mirrors"

"Can I borrow your cell to call Matt? I don't have any signal." Em asks me.

After the movies, she decided we should all go to the mall and shop. Matt ended up going a seperate way when we entered Sephora. Typical boyfriend. But he's a really nice guy and I'm glad she's with him.

As I grab my phone, I check it and see I have several text messages. I had forgot to take it out of silent after we left the theatre. I see they are all from Nate. I decide to ignore them for now and hand over my cell.

"Thanks Audrey." She starts to call him while walking around the store. I'm not much of a makeup person so I just go to the other side and look at perfumes. My mom's birthday is coming up so maybe I could get her one. I start smelling the scents to see which one smells nice. Eventually they all start smelling the same to me so I give up. Now I feel like sneezing.

"Can I help you?" A worker comes up and asks me. I just smile and shake my head no. I always feel awkward when they approach you in stores. Just let me shop in peace.

"Just so you know some of our makeup brushes are on sale. This one is only $25 dollars." She shows me the pink fluffy brush in her hand. What? I don't even want to know what it costs full price.

"Oh, um I don't need one but thanks." I turn and start looking for Emma. She's been on the phone for awhile it seems.

"There you are. Here's your phone. I'm going to go checkout then we can leave. I forgot I have an essay due." Em is studying history at a community college and wants to become a teacher.

"Hey, these are on sale!" She points at the $25-$30 brushes.

"That's their sale price? I could buy alot of stuff for that amount." Matt says on his way towards us.

"They're a good brand. Back me up on this." She turns and looks at me.

"Eh... Sorry but I agree with Matt on this one."

He then high fives me.

"You guys suck." Emma pretends to pout.

Matt chuckles and gives her a kiss on her cheek, that makes her smile.

After checking out, we go to the parking lot and soon we are off on our way home.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On the way I start feeling sleepy so I decide to close my eyes for awhile as I hear Emma and Matt talking about whether ghosts are real or not.

"Wake up Audrey. We're here at your house." I hear Emma say. I didn't think I would actually fall asleep.

Then I think I hear her mutter "Please don't be mad at me."

"Why would I be mad at you?" I question as I fully open my eyes and get my purse. I'm about to open the car door and leave when I see someone familiar at the front door of my house.

"Did you have something to do with this Emma?" She had been acting weird after leaving the mall.

"No. Okay, maybe. Just a little bit. So when I borrowed your phone, I saw the texts he sent you. After I checked on Matt, I kinda called him."