Chapter 19: Monster

"If I told you what I was
would you turn your back on me?
And if I seem dangerous,
would you be scared?"

I don't know how much time has passed. I feel like I've been here for years but I'm sure its only been a couple of hours. I'm still sitting on the old uncomfortable fading grey couch. All I can do is look out the small windows to my right and left. From what I can see, it dawns on me that we really are at some secluded place. All that is visible are trees and tall uncut grass. No houses, stores, or buildings in sight. He is right, if I scream, no one will hear it. Plus, who knows what he would do if I caused any trouble.

Currently scar guy and the other who's name I assume is Mark are eating and going over plans. I'm really thirsty but I don't want anything from them. Not that they would give me water if I ask.

"Here's your burner phone. Don't fucking lose it. The rich guy will call you when the money is ready. You will also use it to call me when you have secured the money. After that, get rid of it." Scar guy informs Mark.

"Got it Rob." Well, I guess scar guy's name is Rob.

For a while its quiet then a loud ringing noise echos throughout the room.

"It's ringing! What do I do?" I see Mark looking at the phone as if it has turned into a ticking time bomb.

"Oh, just ignore it. What do you think? Answer it you idiot. What the fuck is a matter with you?" Rob shakes his head very annoyed.

"Hello." Mark starts listening to whoever is on the otherside talking.

"Good. Now drop the money in the location that was texted to you earlier and leave. If I see you or anyone else nearby, you will never see your girlfriend again. Alive anyway. Once I see the money, you will be texted the location of where she will be. Goodbye now." He then hangs up. He was talking to Nate. I hope nothing happens to him. I don't want him to get hurt because of me. I'd rather die then see him hurt.

"Okay, once you get to the location call me right away. After you check that the full ransom was paid, I'll drop this girl at the drop off location. Here, take this." Rob then hands him a gun. This is the first time I have seen any of them with a weapon. He then turns to me. "Looks like your prince is saving you."
............................................................

It's been several minutes since Mark left and Rob is pacing back and forth in front of me. He actually looks calm, unlike his partner who seems easily rattled.

He catches me staring and slowly walks toward me. When he stops right in front of me he pulls out a sharp looking knife and puts it near my neck. It feels as if my heart stops.

"Are you scared of me?" He questions and smirks.

I don't answer and don't want to show fear.

"You should be. I've killed others with this knife by the way." He says it matter of factly. I feel like shuddering but suppress it.

"You're lucky though. It seems that all will be fine for you. Plus I get a big payday and will get to leave here." He finally puts the knife away but keeps staring at me while looking at me up and down. It feels awkward.

He only looks away when he receives a phone call. "What's up?" He nods along with whatever Mark must be telling him. To my surprise he puts it on speaker.

"All the money is here."

"Good. Make sure to not look suspicious as you start walking. Act natural." Rob advises him.

"Yeah. I can't believe how easy this - what the fuck? Shit."

"What's happening? Answer me!"

On the phone you can hear voices "F.B.I ! Stay where you are! Put down the bag!"

"Shit! Destroy the phone and remember our backup plan that we made!" Mark yells into his phone then throws it at the wall. It shatters in pieces.

"Fuck!" He roars.

Suddenly he's in front of me and hits me in the face. It happened so quick that it takes me awhile to realize where the pain came from. I start seeing spots and my vision is blurred. Once I can focus I see him pull out a weapon. Another gun.

He comes in front of me again and aims it at my forehead. "Seems like luck wasn't on your side. Your guy can't seem to follow instructions. I'll make sure he sees your dead body." He says that last part in my ear as he roughly pulls my hair.

"Please don't do this." I whisper.

"It's too late. I can't have any lose ends." I close my eyes and prepare for the end. I think about my mom, Kay, Nate, Emma and Matt. I pray that they will be fine.

"Police! Put your weapon down!" I hear as the door bangs open.

Rob then picks me up and puts me in front of him "Stop or I will kill her right now!" He aims the gun toward the back of my head. I know because I feel it.

"Put it down and let her go." I'm still tied so it would be hard for me to run. I don't really have an option right now.

"Cooperate with us and maybe you'll get a deal. Do you really want to go to jail for kidnapping and murder?" An officer asks as he come closer. I notice its officer Klyde. The one who interviewed Emma.

"If I let her go, I want reduced prison time. I don't want life in jail."

"Give her to us and we'll talk."

It takes awhile but he sighs and reluctantly pushes me towards them. Since I can't use my hands or legs, I fall down on the cold hard tile. Klyde helps me up and quickly loosens the ties and escorts me out.

When we make it outside I see more cop cars and officers. It seems they're still making their way to the scene. Then I see Nate running towards me. "Audrey!" He yells my name. When he makes it to where I'm at I fall in his arms. "Its over" is all I think. With him here holding me I feel safe.

"Thank god we found you. I was so worried." I see tears in his eyes as he looks at me. As I see that I start sobbing and can't stop.

"Its okay, you're with me now. I love you so much." He assures me.

"I love you too." He's about to kiss me  but we hear a commotion nearby.

I turn and see that Rob is putting up a fight with officers as they were about to cuff him and put him in the backseat of the cop car. Then I see him punch one of them and he takes their gun.

As if in slow motion I see bullets going everywhere. Rob shooting at every direction and the just arrived cops trying to shoot him.

He turns to where Nate and I are standing and I see him aim at him. I push Nate to the ground as quick as I can and turn just in time to see that Rob is shot several times in the chest.

"Is everbody okay? Was anybody hit?" I hear a voice asking everyone. But it sounds far away.

"Audrey? Audrey!" I hear Nate screaming but don't know why. I'm right here. Then I slowly realize that I have an intense pain in my stomach. I look down and see alot of blood. Huh. Where did that come from?

"Help!" Nate screams over and over.

"We need the medics here now! We got a GSW!" I hear some unknown voice yell.

I then realize I'm on the ground. Everything feels fuzzy and I can feel my heart beating in my ears. I hear Nate telling me that he loves me and to stay with him. I think he's crying. Why is he crying?

I want to tell him that I'm right here and that everything is okay. But for some reason I can't get the words out. What's happening? The last thing I hear are ambulance sirens.