Chapter 42

"Nothing happened I'm fine"

I stared at Cole in disappointment and worry. "Bullshit Cole"

"Fine, I got in a fight"

"Well no shit" Jake sat down and continued eating his food.

Well okay then I guess he's not too worried about the fact that his little brother just came home with bruises all over his face.

"Well, what was the fight over"

He stared at me as if trying to get me to not make him answer the question. When he realized I wasn't going to let him go until he told me, he rolled his eyes and explained what happened.

"Some douche bag was bothering my friend, so I stepped in and helped her" He shrugged it off like it was no big deal.

Jake chuckled from across the table. "I really need to teach you how to fight"

"I know how to fight" Cole defended.

"Yeah right. Tell that to the bruises on your face"

"I'm pretty sure you came home a bit beat up a few weeks ago"

Jake narrowed his eyes. "That's different"

"How the fu-"

"Guys, that enough" I cut into their little argument. "Are we just going to ignore the fact that he just said he got into a fight over a girl"

Cole rolled his eyes and Jake shrugged.

"That's so sweet, tell me all about her. I bet she's gorgeous. When do we get to meet her"

Cole groaned. "You sound like my mom"

Jake tensed at his words and stopped eating. "I um- I'll be back" He got out of his seat and rushed up to his room.

"Shit" Cole mumbled and ran his hands through his hair.

"I suppose I should go check on him huh?"

Cole nodded and I went after Jake.

When I walked through his door he was laying on his bed staring at the ceiling.

"Jake? Are you okay"

He jumped at the sound of my voice and sat up against the headboard. "Hmm? Yeah I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

I gave him a look that said, do you really think I'm that stupid? I raised a brow at him and his face fell. "Do you want to talk about it"

His ran his hand through his messy hair and looked down shaking his head. "There's nothing to talk about"

I sighed and closed the door behind me before climbing on the bed and sitting next to him. I took his hand in mine causing his head to snap up so his teddy eyes met mine. I smiled softly and squeezed his hand.

"I don't know what to do" He whispered softly and looked straight ahead of him.

I continued to stare at him. Admiring every little detail of his face. The sharpness of his jawline, the color of his eyes, the softness of his pink lips, and his dark brown hair that is a mess on top of his head but it still seems to look perfect.

"About what Jake?"

He sighed and ran another hand through his hair. "About everything. My mom, my sister, my dad, Cole. My mom left us and now wants us back in her life, apparently I have a sister now, my dad is never home, and Cole comes home with bruises" I stayed silent and waited for him to continue. "I feel like my family is falling apart even more, and I don't know what to do"

"Well, do you want to meet your sister"

He nodded.

"Start with talking to your mom about that, I'll be here" I gave his hand another gentle squeeze.

He nodded again and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He scrolled through his contacts and let his thumb hover over the name carol.

The quiet rings filled the quiet room, even though he doesn't have it on speaker phone, it still seems like it could be heard from miles away.

"Hello" the voice on the other line was small and business like.

Jake froze and completely doze off.

"Jake? Is that you?"

He shook his head to get him out of.. whatever he was just in. "Um, yeah. Hi... mom" He looked hurt, and it broke my heart.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so happy you called. How have you been" her voice was now cheery and less business like.

"Peachy" the sarcasm poured out of Jake's mouth like a waterfall.

"How's school, have you meet any girls? You better treat her like I tought you to"

"No"

Ouch.

"Well how's Co-"

"Quit with the bullshit mom, you never cared before so don't act like you do now"

I placed my hand on Jake's shoulder to calm him down.

The line was silent for a while. "Jake, I never intended to hurt you"

"Then why did you leave" He snapped.

"Jakey I-"

"Don't call me that"

"I'm your mother I can call you whatever I want"

"Your my mother? What kind of mother walks out of her children's life, doesn't text our call for five years, and then one day, decides to randomly text them saying they have a sister they never knew about"

"Why did you call Jake"

Jake breathed heavily trying to calm down. I gave his shoulder a squeeze reminding him I'm here.

"I want to meet Catey"

So that must be his sisters name.

"Tell ya what. Fix that temper of yours, then I'll think about letting you meet my daughter" the line went dead.

Jake slowly pulled the phone away from his ear and closed his eyes. Before his eyelids closed completely, I noticed his eyes glaze over with unshed tears.

It breaks my heart seeing him like this. Jake never cries, and I can tell he's hurting.

I climbed on his lap so I was straddling his legs, and wrapped my arms around his back pulling him to me. He let his head rest on my shoulder and wrapped his own arms around me, and pulled me tight against him.

"I'm such a fuck up" he mumbled into my shirt.

"Jake, look at me" he lifted his head from my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. "You. Are. Not. A. Fuck up. You just need to work on your temper a bit. We will do that first, and call your mom in a few weeks and try again. Okay?"

He laid on his back and pulled me down with him, so I am laying half on him half on the bed. And just like that we drifted off, in the comfort of each others arms.

~♡~