Chapter 25

"Fuck him." Julia tossed, as we restocked the shelves in the Pharmacy "Let him beg all he wants, leave a million messages on your TAM if he has to. You're with Tyler, now. That's a guy worth crying for."

"No guy is worth crying for" I assured her, a bit cynically maybe.

"You got that right." Julia snapped, tossing an angry look at her boyfriend, who sighed from behind the counter "You're going to have dinner with Tyler tonight, this isn't the time to have some crisis, is it?" Julia reminded me.

"I'm not having a crisis." I pouted "I'm just saying... it's... well..."

"God, let him beg and whine all he wants." Julia shrugged, putting the cough drops on the shelf "He had his chance, he had hundreds of chances, and he still didn't man up. Besides, you said it yourself: it felt wrong with Charlie."

"He said he loves me" I blurted out, shutting my eyes hard.

Julia was silent, and when I opened one eye, she was scowling at me.

"That little weasel." Julia groaned "I take my hat off to him, he's smarter than I gave him credit for."

"Julia, I don't think he said he loves me to be a weasel" I scowled back at her.

"Oh, no, no, no, Alice Coreen!" She dropped the medicine packages over the shelves to come grab my elbows and shake me "Snap out of that. He's not good for you. You tried, you did all you could, and all he did to you was-"

"I'm not saying I'm confused about who I want to be with." I frowned "I know Tyler's the guy I want. Charlie was just something out of a Twilight Zone episode."

"So what are you feeling confused about?" She tilted her head to the side.

"I'm not confused." I assured her, my hands up in the air "I'm... worried."

Julia opened her mouth to answer, but Mr Crock cleared his throat from his office door. We stared at him and he gestured for his watch with a dark glare. We both walked to stand behind the counter. Mrs Martin was back and she was listening to our conversation mindfully.

"You're worried." Julia repeated "About what?"

"If Charlie believes he's in love with me, Tyler is screwed."

"Oh." It was Gavin's turn to comment "Ah, I see where your concern comes from. Do you think Charlie would be vengeful towards Ty?"

"Ty?" Julia raised a brow at her boyfriend.

"We're buddies." Gavin grinned with a shrug "Well, do you?"

"That's the thing, I don't know." I whined "Hey, Mrs Martin. Your shots arrived yesterday."

"Lovely." Mrs Martin smiled "So... saw your darling Whitehall on the telly the other week."

"Hum" I huffed, clicking on my computer for Mrs Martin's meds.

"Guess Cinderella's pumpkin rotted" Mrs Martin commented.

"The Prince showed his true colours, actually." Julia put in "Like they always do" She snapped that comment at Gavin.

"What's up with these two?" Mrs Martin whispered at me, jerking a perfect red nail at them.

"Trouble in Paradise." I winked "It was very stupid, actually."

"Of course it was! It was a stupid magazine quiz, for God's sake!" Gavin grunted, and he blushed purple under his dark complexion.

"No, it wasn't stupid!" Julia blushed red "Those quizzes have great accuracy."