Chapter 27

Things did get better. Well, a bit, at least. Cosmo was coming out of his severe depression, mainly because Tyler started taking him for walks in the wee hours every morning and near dusk every night – boys' time, as he called it. Oscar was also pampering him with treats and letting him sleep in his bed. The poor old dog was starting to recover from his terrible loss, and his happiness was contagious.

We had a memorial service at Out There before scattering Skinny's ashes in our back garden. Honestly, I think that the authorities were really callous about an anonymous man's death, which made me take the final jump and quit my job, to dedicate myself full time to the organization. Mr Crock merely shrugged at my resignation letter, asked for my name card and waved me goodbye. So, I guess it's true when people say we find our true calling amidst a terrible loss.

Amanda could vow for that saying, as well. Alright, maybe Spencer was a bit of a pusher, and, really, she didn't have a choice, but I think the fact that Nick beat the crap out of her, and turned into a psychopathic stalker, helped her realise she should just take the risk and enjoy it. And it worked, thank God. She wasn't as grumpy as she used to be, and we finally went out on double dates, just like we used to plan while teens.

I had my big sister back, and it only had taken one year – the ex-boyfriend she had stolen from me to turn crazy and beat her, me dumping a Prime Minister –, for us both to reconnect.

"Ok. Alright. Ok, Mom!" Julia said to the person on the line "Huh, huh. Sure, we'll meet you for lunch. Yes, you can ask Uncle Seamus to play My Love is Like a Red Rose."

I chuckled at that comment, cutting the lettuce for the salad.

"No, Mom! Gavin won't be offended by Uncle singing about colour!" Julia gasped, her cheeks tinged a whole new shade of red "Goodbye, Mom!"

"Your mother is crazier than mine when it comes to wedding plans" I chuckled.

"I shouldn't have decided to do the wedding at their place, up in Portree."

"Too late. We're all going to Scotland for your wedding." I grinned, seasoning the salad "Ok, can you go call the boys?"

We gathered around the living room coffee table, Tyler, Gavin, Julia, Oscar and I. It was an early dinner, for we were all going out to a pub to watch some band live. Oscar got us all in – well, except for Amanda and Spencer who were having a date night at my place. I couldn't care less if she had a boy over, I spent most of my nights at Tyler's nowadays anyway.

"I'm telling you, I'm going to go nuts before we even get married" Julia whined.

"The woman is marrying her daughter, but only once in her lifetime. Cut her some slack" I smiled.

"Oh, it's sweet how you think this guy is the one I'm sticking with" Julia teased, jerking her thumb at her fiancée.

Gavin scowled at her, and Tyler, Oscar and I chuckled.

"So, now that you two are practically living together, when will you get married?" Gavin asked playfully, addressing Alice and Tyler.

Oh, wait. I'm Alice!

I spat the wine I was having, getting Oscar's white shirt all... messy.

"Way to go, Mum!" Oscar teased.

"You're a snake" I grunted at a grinning Gavin.

"C'mon, I was joking!" My friend shrugged like it was no big deal "But now that the cat is out of the bag, what's up with you two? Are you living together? Just friends with benefits? What gives?"

"Yeah, what gives?" Oscar added.

"You, shut the hell up." A purple Tyler pointed at his son "And you, I know you do some MJ when I'm not looking. Be careful."