Chapter 61

"If I had no more time
No more time left to be here
Would you cherish what we had?
Was I everything that you were looking for?
If I couldn't feel your touch
And no longer were you with me
I'd be wishing you were here
To be everything that I've been looking for."
Alicia Keys "Like You'll Never See Me Again"

Ashanti

"What a wonderful name it is, the name of Jesus." I sang softly to myself as I checked my mailbox with August trailing closely behind me. I only wanted to see the flyers from local supermarkets and coupons for some restaurants. All these envelopes could have inside them are bills, nothing else.

Wouldn't it be nice if I found a check addressed to me for like a million dollars?

Let me stop dreaming. The two of us just came from church where we heard the word, but August's been quiet since he came to pick me up this morning. I don't know what's his problem.

After I closed the small door and put the mailbox key in my pocket, August followed me up to my apartment. Once we got inside, I slipped off my heels, threw my bag on the couch, and placed the mail on the cocktail table. Then, I went straight to the kitchen.

"Make yourself at home as usual." I told August with no response in return. He also came into the kitchen and stood up against the counter with his arms crossed over his chest. Okay...

I'll admit things have been a little rocky between us because of this attitude he's developed. I don't know what's going on with him and he has refused to tell me.

"Reese!" Where is he?

I heard light footsteps, beating against the ground. In a flash, my baby came in wagging his tail. I took him to the groomers yesterday and he looks fresh with his coat trimmed down. The pampering they gave him brought his spirits up after the vaccination he got at the vet.

I rubbed his fur, making sure to scratch behind his ears because he loves that. I put him down and refilled his bowls before I looked for what August and I would eat.

Reese didn't seem to be hungry yet as he moved towards August to lick his shoes, then running over to his toys. I'll take him for a walk in a few or Auggie can to blow off the steam he has inside.

"Queen." August uttered.

"Yes?" I asked, looking through the pantry to find something to make. I'm literally tired of pasta. I've haven't eaten fish in a while though.

"I need to talk to you." He continued.

"About what?" I stopped searching and gave him my undivided attention.

"I got a problem with how much you work." What?

"I don't understand what you're taking about."

"I feel like I hardly see you. We don't spend as much time together like we did before you went to UCLA." Tell me he's joking.

"August, are you just looking to something to argue about because you're bored? This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say." I replied, going back to the meal I was planning to cook. Maybe salmon.