Chapter seventeen

After an hour of bugging Tate to answer my questions, he caved in and said he'd tell me after dinner. I agreed and decided to take the time to get to know him.

I found out his favorite color is none other than dark blue, he's twenty-one, his mothers name is Kathy, his middle name is Henry and he hates cats.

What werewolf doesn't?

I close the dishwasher just in time to hear the tea-kettle whistle, signaling that it's done. I pull it from the stove and poor the water into the mugs with hot chocolate.

"Tate, where are the marsh-mellows?" I ask.

I jump when I feel his stomach against my back. He reaches up overtop of me and opens a cupboard that I wouldn't be able to reach anyways. He pulls out a pack of small, white marsh-mellows and hands them to me with a chuckle.

"How many do you want?" I ask, already pooling half of the pack into my mug.

"Surprise me" he murmures, turning on the fire place.

I giggle to myself, taking one of them and placing it dead center of the mug. Tate takes a seat on the pure white couch, smiling back at me. I put the kettle back on the stove and grab both hot chocolates. Tate laughs when he sees how many marsh-mellows I have.

I love marsh-mellows.

"Real funny" he says as I hand him the cup. He reaches to grab a mellow from my cup but I pull back.

"Nope!"

He growls, taking out the marsh-mellow and plopping it into his mouth.

"Can we talk now?" I ask in a whisper, watching the Alpha carefully. He sighs and leans back against the couch, one arm lays across the top of it, almost reaching where I sit on the other side.

"I suppose" he sets the mug down on the small table in front of of the couch, his face growing serious. "Where do you want me to start?"

"The very beginning" I answer quickly. My body tenses as he opens his mouth.

This is when I get my answers.

"I've known Dylan since we were kids," he starts. "We were good friends, best friends even. Then something happened between my father and his. Dylan and I were listening against the door of my fathers office. We heard yelling, not ordinary yelling, Alpha yelling. We knew something was wrong, but ran away before we heard the rest of it. His father came out minutes later, his face red with anger. He hauled Dylan away without so much as a second glance at me.

"Weeks later, our Packs went to war. My father spoke sternly to me about not following, but me being the Alpha's son, I didn't listen. I trailed behind them, my father was in the front so he didn't see me. Then I heard the howls and battle cries. I was scared. When I saw the blood, the giant wolves, I ran and hid in a tree. By the time I got there though, the war was almost over. I could see my fathers wolf, and Dylan's father. They were battling around the fallen bodies.

"When my father had the upper hand, Dylan's mother came out of nowhere and took him off of Dylan's father. The Luna was supposed to be behind with the pups and women, but Dylan's mother was an amazing women. She never gave up in a fight, always stood for what she believed in"

I watched his eyes glaze over in memory as he stared at the fireplace.

"One of my fathers warriors took Dylan's father and held him down long enough for my father to kill their Luna. I heard two things at once. The painful howl that came from Dylan's father, and a little boys screaming from the next tree over"

"Dylan" I murmur cautiously. Tate nods his head.

"They let Alpha Paul get away and left. Dylan climbed down from the tree quickly and ran for his mother. One of his Pack warriors came and got him. He saw me, and I could see the anger in his eyes. He was beyond mad, I couldn't even describe it."