TEN

PERSEPHONE'S CHAMBERS, THE UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

THE DARKNESS LOOMED ABOVE MY EYES LIKE A GALAXY OF DYING STARS, RICHER THAN A CASCADE OF MOLTEN GOLD.

The darkness. Unending, vast, relentless darkness.

It swallowed me like a heavy blanket - not unknown and terrifying, but warm and comforting, a looming oblivion that seemed to welcome me with open arms.

The silk of the oblivion rustled, whispering in a deadly, masculine voice, raw with ancient power.

“Persephone.”

The might, the sheer brutality of the powerful voice crushed the blooms of hope in my chest, almost taking my breath away. The voice was as enticing as it was dangerous, nearly driving me to madness.

“Where… where am I?”

No reply. Not a word, nothing.

“Answer me!”

The mighty being took his time to answer, letting my blood pool with heat, the anxiety grating sharply on my fraying nerves. Anticipation tightened in me like a coiled spring.

“Think,” the male murmured, amused.

The darkness. Ripples cascaded in that darkness, pouring a honeyed heat into the void. Darkness, unending darkness, everywhere.

No light, not even a sliver of it. No sign of the milky white skies. No sign of the blessed crisp breezes, no sign of the cinnamon sweet lullabies of the morning sparrows.

“Not Olympus, then,” my voice simmered in the eternal silence, standing out like a freshly cut crystal.

The silver ghost of his laugh lingered in the air.

“Neither is it the realm of Poseidon.”

Fear gripped my senses like a vise, sharp and unyielding and brutal. It broke my bones open like a cracked shell. A stampede of it broke open my blood and invaded it senseless, devouring it whole.

No.

“Come now,” the power in the void whispered. “You know who stands before you, darling.”

Not the skies, not the seas.

You know who stands before you.