THIRTY SEVEN

HALL OF HADES, THE UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

"HERE HE IS AT LAST. GIVE ME LEAVE TO TEAR HIM TO PIECES AT ONCE!"

Thanatos seethed, eyes glowing as he tossed a soul onto the floor. The man's form was more corporeal than other souls I had seen - more flesh than smoke, more light than darkness. Almost as if he was alive, as if he didn't belong in the room of the dead.

"Admit it, old man - I beat you fair and square -" the spirit grinned.

"Shut up!" Thanatos howled, his face ablaze with immortal fury. His kick landed solid on the shade's chest. "You... trickster!"

Charon lingered somewhere nearby his ghastly face split in a grin.

"Please, do not stop on my account. I would love to see him thrashed soundly. No offence meant, my Queen," he cackled, turning to meet my eyes. "But I would like to get a few kicks in, if that is alright-"

I held up a hand, the room falling silent, stiller than a grave.

"What is the meaning of this?"

Hecate, Minos and Thanatos began to speak at the same time.

"One at a time. Start from the beginning."

Thanatos glowered at the other two, colour almost drained from his face. Brow furrowed, he shoved the shade to the floor, who let out a howl that shook the earth. At my feet, Cerberus perked up, up on his haunches, eyes darkening.

"Easy," my hand stroked the bloodhound's velvet fur. "We must treat our guests with respect... before we punish them. Is that not right, sir?" I demanded, beckoning the shade closer with a pale finger. He moved forward, as if in a trance - eyes wide - before colliding with Charon's stick, even as the ferryman clicked his tongue disapprovingly.

"Too close for my liking, boy. Two steps back. Now!" Charon whacked him with his stick, his skeletal fingers reaching out to lash a few welts on the man's cheek before Minos shot him a glare.

"Thanatos. Tell me what happened."

"Behold Sisyphus," he spat. "The man who tricked death."

Eyebrows raised, I intertwined my fingers, resting my chin on them.

"Go on."

"It started when Posidon's granddaughter, Aegina - went missing. Apparently, Zeus took her away," Hecate's lips were drawn in a thin line, a furrow of disapproval shining bright on her brow. "Sisyphus revealed her hiding place to Aegina's father, Asopus - only if he created an eternal freshwater spring in his kingdom. An endless source of freshwater for generations to come."

"I was only looking out for my people," Sisyphus wailed, his complaint ringing loud and clear off the dark stone walls.

"And you betrayed her location?" I questioned.