TWENTY

THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, OLYMPUS

DEMETER

“DO YOU KNOW WHERE SHE IS?” I FLUNG MYSELF INTO THE  IVORY TILED ROOM, LIVID WITH SUCH SEETHING ANGER THAT IT SEEPED OUT OF MY WORDS, DRIPPING WITH HATRED LIKE VENOM FROM HORNED SERPENTS.

Zeus merely looked up from where he lounged about on tasseled cushions atop his golden throne, a naked nymph splayed over his thighs as his fingers drummed on her bare, freckled back. His blue gaze only crackled with a tinge of annoyance, making electricity glimmer in it - as if I were only a mild inconvenience meant to be dealt with and cast off.

“Where is who, dear sister?” his voice was a mighty baritone that tumbled into my brain like waves lapping at the ocean rocks.

“Your daughter. Persephone.”

He stopped in his actions, returning to assume the form of a statue carved in ice as he looked down at me, his lips still pressed to the nymph’s slender throat which he had been kissing so arduously. She looked at me with annoyance fuelled by the hazy feeling of passion, her body draped over his lap and rocking to and fro gently over his knee. 

“As it happens, I do know where she is, sister,” Zeus coolly replied. “With Hades.”

“You knew where she was? You knew and you didn't think you could have told me?” I screeched at him, every word at a pitch higher than the one before. 

“As a matter of fact, I sent her there myself, Demeter.”

And this time, furious tendrils of warm, gold light exploded out of my fingers, accompanied by a tight shivering that wracked the dust of my bones to the very core.

“YOU SENT HER THERE?”

“Demeter, she-”

“You sent her to that - monster - that devil-”

“It was necessary-”

“- you sent her to that vile, scheming beast!”

“Enough!” Zeus boomed at me, furiously looking down at me, waving away the barely covered young woman at my figure with the full might of his gaze, anger rippling in them. The woman in his lap squirmed on his knee, grinding herself against him in an attempt to distract. 

The action only made the fire boiling in my blood reach a limit, kissing the very zenith of the peak. 

“Go,” he said quietly to her, his face as impassive as weathered stone. She looked at him with curiosity, sensing the short temper seizing him as he flexed his arms, stretching to rest a lazy arm on the armrest of his gilded throne.