TWENTY SEVEN

HECATE'S TEMPLE, THE UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

SHE WAS WAITING FOR US AT THE TOP OF THE STEPS, STONE EYED AND DRESSED IN ROBES OF DEEP EMERALD THAT BROUGHT OUT THE GREEN IN HER SHARP EYES.

A thick black cloak was carelessly tossed over her shoulders, falling past her feet and sweeping to the spotless marble floors. She arched an eyebrow at the white rose tucked behind Hades' hair. The ice in her expression thawed slightly.

"Persephone. Hades. What an... interesting choice of attire."

"You're perky today," he snorted, clasping Hecate's hand with an easy familiarity, even as she rolled her eyes. "I thought Persephone would like to see your garden."

She said nothing for a moment, but when she spoke, her voice was carefully measured.

"Hmm. I thought so," she murmured, a dry smile on her lips.

Without further reply, she turned on her heel, leading us in. The air was thick and heavy with incense of sandalwood, with candles lit even in the daylight. The hallways were vast, windows thrown open as the velvet curtains drifted in the breeze. We passed a huge desk laden with heaps of scrolls on a pile of leather cased tomes, perched beside bottles of ink and finely sharpened quills. The temple was a maze, even as she led us further and further in. Hades reassuringly wrapped my hand in mine as Hecate came to a stop under an exquisitely carved archway, lips pursued.

"You know the rules, Hades," she said quietly. He sighed deeply.

"What rules?" I asked.

"This is the Sanctuary. Only females can set foot beyond, my Lady," she said quietly.

"I understand."

"And Hades, I've found the books you requested from a library in Athens. Rosamund will fetch them for you from my study," Hecate continued. "Tea is at five, so please don't get lost and wander off before then," she scowled good naturedly.

"No promises, goddess," Hades grinned at her, before squeezing my hand. "And don't bore my Queen."

Despite herself, a tiny smile played about on Hecate's lips as she rolled her eyes again, and then placed a hand on the small of my back, leading me forward. I could hear my heartbeat pounding in my ears as I allowed her to fall in step beside me, keeping up a brisk pace.

As we walked, she threw open doors, swept aside curtains and unlocked gates with a press of her hand. I marveled at the easy familiarity with which she navigated her home, certain in its security. She flung open the last gate built of nothing but creepers and vines twisted in wrought iron, then stepped aside to let me through.

A carpet of velvety moss lay beneath my feet, making me marvel at its softness. All around us, each and every surface was touched by tendrils of vine and young creepers, clearly cared for and tended often. Spiderwort and poison ivy climbed over the walls, wrapping themselves around tree trunks and the elegantly carved statues on pedestals. A lush orchard laden with pomegranates beckoned to me, fruit heavy with promise and desire. The air was filled with scents of cinnamon and anise. Shrubs of every imaginable herb lay scattered around in carefully tended bushes - belladonna, rosemary and sage.